Enjoy this delicious dish over brown rice. In addition to vegetables that are high in dietary fiber, this recipe calls for skinless chicken breasts — making this a low-fat and low-sodium meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinned and fat removed, boned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 16-ounce can whole tomatoes, cut up
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add chicken and sauté about 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add zucchini, eggplant, onion, green pepper and mushrooms. Cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley and pepper. Stir and continue cooking about 5 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
Makes 4 servings.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. 266 calories, 8 grams total fat, 66 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams saturated fat, 253 milligrams sodium.
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
Find more healthy recipes.
For More Information
To learn more about Sharp's nutrition services or to find a Sharp-affiliated physician, search for San Diego doctors or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. To find general information about nutrition, read the Nutrition News archive.