Crunchy asparagus, creamy avocado, zesty tomatoes and a tangy and flavorful dressing to bring everything together make a scrumptious salad, side dish or topping for a variety of main dishes, such as grilled chicken.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 10 spears of asparagus, wooden ends removed and cut into thirds
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 to 4 large basil leaves, torn
- 1 to 2 tablespoons feta cheese
Combine the oils, vinegars, Dijon mustard, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside for the flavors to mingle.
Boil a small pot of water, add the asparagus and cook for 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain from the hot water and place into a bowl of ice water for 30 seconds. Remove from the water and place on a paper towel to drain. Add the sliced tomatoes, asparagus and diced avocado to a large bowl. Tear basil leaves and throw into the bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette to taste (you may not need all of it), then toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.
Recipe provided courtesy of Laura Fox, Sharp HealthCare employee.
Find more healthy recipes.
For More Information
To learn more about Sharp's nutrition services or to find a Sharp-affiliated physician, search for San Diego doctors or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. To find general information about nutrition, read the Nutrition News archive.