Sharp HealthCare is committed to helping you give your baby the best possible start in life. Sharp offers a comprehensive breastfeeding education and resources program at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
, Sharp Grossmont Hospital
and Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
We encourage new mothers to breastfeed, and offer support and education to help new moms succeed, including:
- Breastfeeding support groups and breastfeeding classes help support and educate new moms on how to breastfeed with hands-on assistance by lactation consultants
- Certified lactation consultants — registered nurses with additional, specialized training in breastfeeding education and support — are available daily for inpatients and on an outpatient basis by appointment
- Families are encouraged to practice skin-to-skin with their babies — which encourages breastfeeding
- Moms are encouraged to initiate breastfeeding within one hour of delivery
- Patients receive a breastfeeding-friendly diaper bag and educational resources on how to breastfeed
- San Diego’s only donor breast milk depot can provide breast milk to infants in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) who need supplemental nutrition
- Sharp nurses receive annual education on breastfeeding and all new nurses receive four hours of breastfeeding education by a lactation consultant
Each of our three locations also offers:
Learn what medications are safest while breastfeeding, and always check with your doctor before taking any new medication. Also, discover what breastfeeding essentials you'll need to know in order to navigate the first four weeks.
Find a San Diego OBGYN
To find a Sharp-affiliated doctor, search for a San Diego OBGYN or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.
For More Information
To speak to a Sharp Mary Birch lactation consultant, please call the New Beginnings Boutique and Gift Shop for a referral at 858-939-4127.