Who doesn't want a healthier heart? You can lower your risk of heart disease, cholesterol and more by introducing these five foods into your regular diet.
- Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which protect the heart and reduce the possibility of blood clots, as well as reduce inflammation. Eat without butter or glaze for true heart-healthy benefits.
- Soy helps lower cholesterol levels, especially whole soy products such as tofu, soybeans, edamame and soy milk.
- Oatmeal and oat bran contain soluble fiber, which helps to lower cholesterol. Add a handful of one of your favorite berries, which contain phytochemicals and antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and boost immunity, for a one-two punch.
- Beans are another food that contains soluble fiber, which helps to lower cholesterol levels.
- From almonds to walnuts, nuts help to lower LDL-cholesterol, or the bad cholesterol. A healthy portion is the equivalent of one handful with your palm closed.
For More Weight-Loss Information
For more information about Sharp's weight management services, call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm, or send us an email.