- Find a Doctor
- Medical Services
- Patients & Visitors
- Classes & Events
- Health Library
- Why Choose Sharp?
If you are taking several medicines, you might be confused about which medicine to take or what symptoms the drugs treat. Dr. William Buchner, a family medicine physician at Sharp Rees-Stealy San Carlos, recommends following these medication management tips:
1. Write it down. Record the medicine name (generic and brand name), what you use it for, when to take it and for how long to take it. Note whether to avoid mixing the medicine with any others or with any foods or drinks.
2. Share the information. Tell your doctor or pharmacist which medicines you take. This includes all prescriptions and any over-the-counter drugs, nutritional supplements and herbal medications. Keep an updated list of all medications you take and bring it when you see your doctor.
3. Use a weekly pillbox. These boxes have seven compartments, one for each day of the week. If you stock your pillbox at the beginning of the week, it's easy to tell whether you've taken a dose.
4. Watch for side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist what side effects may occur with each of your medicines. Your doctor may be able to adjust your dose or schedule, or substitute another drug. Always check with your doctor first before stopping any medication.
5. Take your medications as prescribed. If you are having a medication problem, contact your doctor or pharmacist. Taking too much or too little of prescribed medications can make treating your condition more difficult.
mySharp makes it easier to manage multiple medications. Sharp Rees-Stealy patients can track and print a list of all medications that their doctor has a record of as well as request prescription refills online. Sharp Rees-Stealy has pharmacies at the Chula Vista, Downtown, La Mesa, Mira Mesa, Rancho Bernardo and San Diego locations and can make next-day home deliveries for $3.
For More Information
Find important phone numbers and get information about Sharp Rees-Stealy locations, hours, doctors, appointments and prescriptions. Sharp Rees-Stealy accepts most health plans. Learn how to select a doctor. Also, get information about public transportation to Sharp Rees-Stealy clinics.
I believe excellent health is an essential ingredient to happiness, which is life's ultimate goal."
1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.
If you have any additional questions,
send us an email using our secure contact form.
Sharp HealthCare is San Diego's health care leader with 7 hospitals and 2,600 affiliated doctors.
Sharp is not-for-profit and relies on fundraising. © 2013 Sharp HealthCare. All rights reserved.