The first in San Diego to offer transoral surgery for tumors of the mouth and throat.
Oral tumors, both cancerous and noncancerous, can occur in any part of the oral cavity, which includes the tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate and throat.
How Transoral Robotic Surgery Works
Robotic-assisted surgery gives the surgeon a better view of the anatomy, which is especially helpful with the hard-to-reach areas of the mouth and throat. During transoral robotic surgery (TORS), the surgeon sits at a console where the movements of the robot are controlled. Your surgeon and surgical team are at your side throughout surgery.
Why Choose Sharp for Transoral Robotic Surgery?
- Sharp HealthCare-affiliated physicians have performed more robotic-assisted surgeries than any other health care system in San Diego
- Sharp was the first in San Diego, and one of fewer than a dozen in the country, to perform TORS
- Sharp was the first in San Diego to perform robotic-assisted surgery using the da Vinci robotic surgical system
- TORS was FDA-approved in 2009; Sharp began offering it in 2010
Conditions We Treat With Transoral Robotic Surgery
Sharp treats the following oral tumors with transoral robotic surgery:
- Cheek tumors, also known as buccal tumors
- Floor-of-the-mouth tumors
- Hard- and soft-palate tumors
- Laryngeal tumors, or supraglottic laryngeal tumors
- Mouth tumors
- Throat tumors, including hypopharyngeal, posterior pharyngeal and lateral pharyngeal
- Tongue tumors
TORS is an effective method of treating oral tumors by using minimally invasive robotic surgery techniques to remove tumors of the mouth and throat. Using the da Vinci® surgical system, TORS is performed through the mouth, so the surgeon has greater access to areas that are often hard to reach. Because the procedure is performed through the mouth, no incisions are made, which offers the following benefits:
- Ability to avoid reconstructive surgery
- Fewer complications
- Less pain
- Less risk of infection
- Less scarring
- Quicker recovery time
- Reduced need for additional treatment
Locations of Transoral Robotic Surgery Services
We offer TORS at the following Sharp hospital in San Diego:
For More Transoral Robotic Surgery Information