Don't forget to take care of yourself.
Caregivers spend so much time taking care of their loved ones, they sometimes forget to take care of themselves. Here are some suggestions for things caregivers can do to refresh and re-energize their spirits.
- Educate yourself on existing caregiver resources at the library, bookstore or on the Internet
- Exercise regularly, whether it's a workout at the gym, a walk around the neighborhood or using an exercise video at home
- Go through catalogs and dream
- Identify specific ways others can help you and let them help
- Join a support group
- Listen to music that makes you move
- Make a phone call to someone who makes you laugh
- Organize information for your loved one and for yourself so it is easily accessible
- Read humorous and uplifting literature
- Read the comics or do a crossword puzzle
- Schedule breaks away from your caregiving time
- Share your thoughts with a close friend
- Stay in the moment — try not to fret about past events or worry about future events
- Surround yourself with positive-minded people — it's contagious
- Take a guilt-free nap
- Use the Internet for information and support and join a caregiver chat room
- Watch a favorite TV show
- Write in a journal
For More Information
To learn more about Sharp's senior health services or to find a Sharp-affiliated physician, search for San Diego doctors or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm. To find general information about senior health, read the Senior Health News archive.