This quick quiz can help evaluate whether you or a loved one has a hearing problem.
The Hearing Handicap Inventory below measures the social and emotional aspects of hearing loss. The results of this simple quiz correlate highly with the probability of actual hearing loss.
- Print this page
- Answer “yes,” “no” or “sometimes” in response to each of the following questions
- Give yourself four points for every “yes” answer, two points for every “sometimes” answer and zero points for every “no” answer
- Do not skip a question if you avoid a problem due to a hearing problem
- If you use a hearing aid, please answer the way you hear without the aid
Hearing Handicap Inventory
- Does a hearing problem cause you to feel embarrassed when you meet new people?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to feel frustrated when talking to members of your family?
- Do you have difficulty hearing when someone speaks in a whisper?
- Do you feel handicapped by a hearing problem?
- Does a hearing problem cause you difficulty when visiting friends, relatives or neighbors?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to attend religious services less often than you would like to?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to have arguments with family members?
- Does a hearing problem cause you difficulty when listening to television or radio?
- Do you feel that any difficulty with your hearing limits or hampers your personal or social life?
- Does a hearing problem cause you difficulty when in a restaurant with relatives or friends?
HHIE — Screening, Ventry & Weinstein, 1983
Total your points for the 10 questions and use the following information to determine your score. (HHIE-S Score Interpretation, Lichtenstein, Bess, & Hogan, 1988)
- If you scored between 0 and 8, you have no handicap and a 13 percent post hoc probability of hearing impairment
- If you scored between 10 and 24, you have a mild-moderate handicap and a 50 percent post hoc probability of hearing impairment
- If you scored 26 or higher, you have a severe handicap and a 84 percent post hoc probability of hearing impairment
For More Information
If, after taking this quiz, you are concerned that you may have hearing loss, the next step is to schedule a hearing screening with an audiologist. Sharp-affiliated audiologists offer free hearing screenings throughout the county. To sign up, call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277).
To learn more about Sharp's senior health services or to find a Sharp-affiliated doctor, search for a San Diego physician or call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm.