Heart and Vascular Care
Mechanical Circulatory Support
Heart support systems in San Diego.
Since 1986, more than 600 patients have been supported with cardiac and/or pulmonary mechanical circulatory support systems at Sharp HealthCare. Mechanical circulatory support systems are devices that keep the heart functioning in patients with life-threatening heart disease. Mechanical assist devices can be used to help a heart become stronger, as a temporary support tool until a patient can receive a heart transplant or as a permanent treatment.
- Awaiting heart transplantation (bridge to transplant)
- Expecting cardiac recovery (bridge to recovery)
- Living comfortably at home or traveling with an implantable permanent left ventricular assist device (LVAD), also known as destination therapy
Sharp Memorial Hospital uses nine different types of mechanical circulatory support devices. Different devices are used depending on the individual needs of each patient.
Why choose us?
- Active participation in clinical trials enabling many devices to receive FDA approval and be used more safely and effectively
- Comprehensive onsite heart rehabilitation program
- More than 25 years of experience, providing support to more than 600 patients
- Nationally recognized clinical researchers and authors covering issues relating to artificial heart pumps
- Sharp Memorial Hospital has advanced certification in ventricular assist devices from The Joint Commission
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in heart care in San Diego.
"The best outcomes result from open communication between the physician and patient."
"It is a privilege to practice at an organization with an emphasis on delivering the highest quality patient care."
""The secret of caring for the patient is to care for the patient." — William Osler"
"I am dedicated to improving the health of people with cardiovascular disease."
"I pride myself on good communication and truly enjoy spending time with my patients."