No one should grieve alone.
Sharp HospiceCare understands that patients, their families and caregivers all experience grief differently. We know grieving is painful and at times lonely. Our mission is to provide bereavement support in a respectful, dignified manner for those working through the grief process.
Comprehensive bereavement services.
Bereavement services help those grieving to learn effective ways to cope with their grief and loss, and return to a focus on living. Services include:
- A monthly newsletter is sent for 13 months after the loss of a loved one to provide assistance in coping with the various changes experienced (subscriptions are free for Hospice families and $25 for community members)
- Bereavement classes and support groups throughout San Diego
- Community education and assistance with issues such as sudden and traumatic loss, adolescent grief and healing and grief in the workplace
- Family and individual counseling for adults, adolescents and children who are survivors of the hospice patient
- Telephone support by a bereavement counselor to provide assessment, reassurance and comfort
Bereavement services are provided by a team of trained professionals specializing in grief counseling, the grief process and its effect on daily life. Counselors provide a safe, supportive, confidential environment for families to cope with the feelings and issues of dealing with the loss of a loved one and coming to terms with that loss.
- Facilitate communications between family members who deal with grief differently.
- Help guide discussions and expressions of painful feelings such as despair, anger and guilt in order to reduce their intensity.
- Help those who are grieving adapt to a changing life that includes new activities, relationships and support groups.
- Listen in a way that helps enrich a family member's understanding of the relationship with their loved one.
- Provide prebereavement services to deal with difficult situations prior to the death of the patient.
Bereavement services are free for Sharp HospiceCare families for up to 13 months after the death of a loved one and may be used regularly, during a crisis or for short-term support. Community services are also provided to those without a prior Sharp HospiceCare relationship.
To learn more about Sharp HospiceCare services, or to speak to a bereavement coordinator, call 619-667-1900.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in primary care in San Diego.
"I strive to do more than expected for my patients to receive the best care possible."
"I believe in providing personalized care that patients can't find anywhere else in San Diego."
"I realize each of my patients has unique life experiences that they bring to our relationship."
"The opportunity to improve the quality of lives makes this the best job in the world."