Volunteer Training Sessions and Application Process
Sharp HospiceCare is looking for caring, compassionate volunteers to provide caregiver relief and companionship for patients by helping with errands, grocery shopping, outings, emotional support and assistance with end-of-life tasks.
We encourage anyone who is looking for a challenging, meaningful and rewarding volunteer opportunity to sign up for the upcoming series of mandatory training sessions. Applicants must have reliable transportation and pass a security background check. We have volunteer positions available for adults and teens. There will be a $25 registration fee ($10 for students and seniors over age 60) payable at time of interview.
Volunteers must attend all three training sessions. Preregistration and an interview are required. If you are interested in assisting solely with clerical support, only the first class is required.
Training sessions will be held on Jan. 23, 30 and 31, 2016.
Volunteers are required to submit the following prior to attending a training session:
- Commit to at least four hours per week for a year
- California driver's license
- Auto insurance
- Two letters of recommendation
- Two-step TB skin test given one week apart at a Sharp Employee Occupational Health Department (EOHD) location
- One does of seasonal flu vaccine given at EOHD or proof of vaccination provided to EOHD
- If you were born in 1957 or later, documentation of two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine or blood test with positive immunity (if you do not have a provider or insurance for the blood test, EOHD can order the test and you will be charged a maximum of $79 due at time of service)
- Documentation of one dose tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Tdap) vaccine given in 2005 or later
- A verbal statement if you have had chickenpox illness or documentation of two doses of Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine if you have not had the illness
- Volunteer application (PDF)
- Teen volunteer application (PDF)
- Teen student counselor consent form (PDF)
Application can be mailed to the address below or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in primary care in San Diego.
"I provide service excellence, teaming with patients and family members and continuing to improve care overall."
"Patient experience is my highest concern and I strive to create a positive and comfortable environment for each individual."
"I provide personalized care with the same expectation I would have if I was a patient."
"I understand my patients' sacrifice of time and ensure experiences in my care are always positive."