OBGYN, Pregnancy and Childbirth Care
Caring for Mom and Baby After Childbirth
Bringing a new baby home is an exciting event, but your loved one also needs special care and attention. Learn important tips for caring for both mom and the new baby after childbirth.
- Ask for and accept help from family and friends
- Assist with bathtime — give baby a sponge bath until the cord falls off and bellybutton is healed (10 to 14 days after delivery), and bathe two to three times a week (more often if desired)
- Encourage your loved one to rest often and nap when the baby naps
- Help with baby care — including bathing, carrying and cuddling — and use this special time to build a bond with baby
- Help with the housework, cooking and entertaining
- If the baby gets a diaper rash, change diapers often and wash and dry baby's bottom each time, leaving exposed to air as often as possible
- If the new mom had a C-section, help her to avoid lifting anything heavier than the baby for the first four to six weeks
- If there are other small children, have them help with small tasks for the new baby that are appropriate for their age
- Limit the number of visitors to prevent mom and baby from feeling stressed
- Provide a balanced diet and plenty of fluids
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in obstetrics/gynecology in San Diego.
"I provide the highest level of quality service by developing a collaborative relationship with my patient."
"The doctor-patient relationship is very important to me and I enjoy connecting with and helping my patients."
"I provide a warm, welcoming environment, with top-notch continuity of care for all aspects of women's health."
"My goal is to provide high-quality health care to women throughout all stages of life."
"I provide quality gynecological care to women from adolescence to past menopause."