Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation
Balance and Vestibular Program
For people with balance, equilibrium or dizziness.
Sharp Rehab's Balance and Vestibular Program provides comprehensive rehabilitative therapy for individuals who have difficulty with balance, equilibrium or complaints of dizziness. Dedicated teams of therapists work together under the direction of a physician to return each person to their highest level of independence, productivity and well-being.
Four facts you may not know about dizziness:
- Approximately 40 percent of the population over 40 years old will experience a dizziness disorder during their lifetime
- In patients with chronic balance problems, only vestibular rehabilitation has shown to improve balance function and performance when compared to medical therapy or general exercise
- Vestibular abnormalities are found in 50 percent of patients who fall
- Vestibular disorders are responsible for 85 percent of dizziness complaints in patients
About vestibular rehabilitation at Sharp.
Vestibular rehabilitation is an exercise-based approach to treat dizziness. Any patient with dizziness or disequilibrium who is motivated and has been cleared by his or her physician for treatment can benefit from this educational process. Program goals are to reduce or eliminate dizziness and vertigo, improve balance and gait skills, prevent falls and return individuals to recreation, work or vocational rehabilitation.
Program components may include:
- Comprehensive evaluation includes testing of sensory organization using the state of the art "SMART Balance Master"
- Physical therapy for balance re-education, gait training, vestibular habituation, education and equipment
- Psychology for stress and anxiety management and developing coping strategies
- Social Services for resource referral case management and counseling services
To learn more about the Balance and Vestibular Program, please contact one of the locations below.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in physical medicine/rehab in San Diego.
"I help my patients negotiate through diagnostic and treatment algorithms to reach their ultimate goal."