Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation
Sharp Continence Program can help.
One in 12 adults in the U.S. experience some degree of incontinence, 80 percent of them women. People affected by strokes, traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury have a neurological component involving the brain and spinal cord, which can cause urinary and bowel incontinence. Other factors include changes in pelvic floor musculature due to altered hormonal levels, trauma, childbirth and behavioral issues. Urinary tract infection, severe constipation, hydration issues, diet, chemical factors, medication and environmental changes can also contribute to incontinence.
The types of incontinence include:
- Functional: Loss of urine due to issues of mobility and/or difficulty managing clothing
- Iatrogenic: Loss of bowel or bladder control due to other factors (i.e., medication, surgeries)
- Mixed: Stress and urge incontinence occurring together
- Overflow/Reflex: Leak of urine due to overflow of bladder with retention
- Stress: Leakage when you cough, sneeze, laugh or do physical activity
- Total: Loss of urine with no conscious desire to void
- Urge: Sudden urgency with loss of control either with urine or stool
Treatment for urinary incontinence.
Sharp Rehabilitation Services Continence Clinic offers comprehensive evaluation and treatment for people with urinary or bowel incontinence. Through an integration of therapy and education, we can help patients gain a more healthy and active lifestyle.
A certified rehabilitation nurse coordinates services provided through the Continence Clinic, working closely with each patient and their physician to provide a comprehensive assessment utilizing noninvasive methods. After assessment, services may include:
- Information on how the bladder and bowel function and the causes of incontinence
- Education on systematic behavior and environmental changes that can influence bladder and bowel functions
- Biofeedback using state-of-the art technology to increase awareness of pelvic floor muscles and pelvic muscle retraining
- Dietary evaluation and recommendations
Program participants meet with a continence therapist for 8 to 12 weeks with a home care program developed to meet each individual's needs.
Sharp Rehabilitation Services Continence Clinic is a Medicare-certified provider and accepts most health insurance plans. To learn more about the Continence Program at Sharp, please call Rehabilitation Services at 858-939-3075.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in physical medicine/rehab in San Diego.
"I respect the body's innate healing ability and each patient's role in selecting the direction of care."