To help prevent skin cancer while having fun on your trip, regularly follow these protective practices:
- Cover up with clothing to protect exposed skin. A hat, long-sleeved shirt and long slacks with a tight weave are best.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim to shade the face, head, ears and neck.
- Wear sunglasses that wrap around and block as close to 100 percent of both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays as possible.
- Seek shade, especially during midday hours (10 am to 4 pm), when ultraviolet (UV) rays are strongest and do the most damage.
- Use sunscreen with sun protective factor (SPF) 30 or higher, and both UVA and UVB protection. Apply 20 minutes before sun exposure.