- Be confident
- Don't look like a victim
- Give 100 percent
The Four As of Self-Defense
- Aware: 90 percent of self-defense is awareness. Be aware of your surroundings and lifestyle. What are your hot spots?
- Assess: Once you are in a situation ask yourself: Can I escape? Does he have a weapon? Do I need to fight?
- Act: React quickly. Be loud. Run or fight back. You must give 100 percent.
- Attitude: Attitude is the decision to do or not to do the other three As. Look confident, always make eye contact and develop a warrior spirit.
Your Primary Target Areas
Secondary target areas include nose, ears, shins and soft tissue under back of arm.
- Elbow strikes
- Eye gouges/hand rake
- Knee strikes
- Legs and feet
- Palm strikes
- Shovel kick to groin
Use combinations — strike more than once and strike more than one area. Be loud!
Practice, Practice, Practice
- 100 percent of self-defense is mind-set. You must believe you can defend yourself.
- Planning, practice and energized commitment are the keys to not freezing if you are attacked. Practice teaches you to react without thinking or panicking.
- Look for self-defense classes so you can brush up on your skills. Self-defense classes will empower you and teach you to react under stress.