In the Community
Community Benefit Report
Addressing the needs of our community.
In fiscal year 2016, Sharp HealthCare provided $319 million in unreimbursed community benefit programs and services. This translates to one of every $11 of our net revenue being spent in direct support of the community. Highlights of our contributions include:
Benefits for the broader community
More than $2 million was contributed through the following efforts:
- Collaboration with local schools to provide experiences that spark interest in health care careers
- Community flu vaccination clinics and health screenings
- Support groups addressing a variety of community health needs, including mental health, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, parenting and grief and loss
- Participation in community health fairs and events addressing the unique needs of San Diegans
- Participation of Sharp leadership and staff in numerous community organizations, committees and coalitions to improve the health of the community
- Financial support to nonprofit community health organizations
In addition, Sharp leads and participates in emergency and disaster planning to protect the health and safety of the San Diego community. Further, Sharp has been an innovator in green practices to improve environmental and community health through its All Ways Green initiative.
Benefits for vulnerable populations
More than $2.7 million helped serve the San Diego community through:
- Financial support for medications, transportation and other needs to assist patients who cannot afford to pay
- Community-wide efforts to ensure the safety of seniors in their homes
- Programming to increase access to community-based health and social service resources for San Diego's vulnerable community members
- Contribution of time to Stand Down for Homeless Veterans, Feeding San Diego, San Diego Food Bank and Ssubi Foundation through the Sharp Lends a Hand program
- Financial and in-kind support for community clinics to improve health services
- Paid leave time for Sharp employees to provide health care and other services to underserved or adversely affected populations around the world through the Sharp Humanitarian Service Program
- Transportation for patients to and from medical appointments
Health research, education and training programs
More than $5 million helped provide:
- Supervision and support for students, interns and residents from a variety of academic disciplines and numerous local and national colleges and universities
- Sponsorship of health-related programs, classes, professors and clinical experience at San Diego State University; University of California, San Diego; Point Loma Nazarene University; Southwestern College; and other academic institutions
- Education and training programs for medical, nursing, pharmacy and other health care professionals in the community
- Education and support for the professional health care and research communities around evidence-based practices for health care delivery, and effective and responsible research conduct
- Facilitation of interdisciplinary research studies to identify and promote quality patient care throughout the health care community
Unreimbursed medical care services
More than $309 million was contributed in the following ways:
- Uncompensated care for patients who are unable to pay for services
- Unreimbursed costs of public programs such as Medi-Cal and Medicare
- Utilization of savings from the 340B Drug Pricing Program administered by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to offset patient care costs for vulnerable patient populations
Additionally, many of our team members individually volunteer their time and expertise to a wide variety of community initiatives and organizations.
Sharp hospitals use the findings from their triennial Community Health Needs Assessment to help guide the Sharp HealthCare Community Benefit Plan and Report, as well as individual Sharp hospital implementation plans.
The Community Benefit Plan and Report is a testament to the care that Sharp provides to the San Diego community — care that extends above and beyond medical services.
To learn more about the positive impact Sharp physicians, nurses, staff and volunteers have on the San Diego community, read the full Sharp HealthCare Community Benefit Plan and Report, Fiscal Year 2016 (PDF) or the Executive Summary (PDF).
To learn more about Sharp's involvement in the community, visit Community Programs and Health Education.