Volunteering at a COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic
In partnership with the County of San Diego, Sharp HealthCare is operating COVID-19 vaccination super stations in the South Bay, East County, central San Diego and San Marcos in support of our community. Medical volunteers are needed to administer vaccinations.
Vaccinator opportunities for medical professionals
You must be a licensed medical professional who is authorized to administer vaccines in California. This includes:
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants
- Registered nurses
- Licensed vocational nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- Medical students, nursing students and pharmacy students will also be considered
- Professionals with a medical license that has expired within the past 5 years
- View the full list of eligible professions
You will receive training on how to administer the vaccine when you report to the vaccination site.
Non-medical opportunities are filled. We will add future opportunities as spots open.
Find and register for volunteer shifts.
- You will need to create a Sharp Account with a username and password in order to register for a shift. You will log in to view your shifts and register for additional shifts.
- If you need to cancel, please call us as soon as possible at 1-800-82-SHARP ( 1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or sign into your Sharp Account to cancel online. We appreciate your advance notice so we can offer your shift to another volunteer.
- Nursing students: Please select "Other" under "License type," type "Nursing student" under "License number" and use 1/1/2021 for "License date."
- Medical professionals with an expired license: The Department of Health and Human Services has amended the Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act to permit physicians, advanced practice registered nurses, registered nurses and practical nurses who have held an active license or certification to prescribe, dispense or administer vaccines under the law of any state within the last 5 years, but which is now inactive, expired or lapsed, "so long as the license or certification was active and in good standing prior to the date it went inactive, expired or lapsed and was not revoked by the licensing authority." If you fall into this category, please include your most recent professional license number when you register.
Vaccine availability for volunteers.
All volunteers are now eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by completing the following steps:
- Commit to a minimum of 3 shifts to be eligible to receive a vaccine.
- Sign up for volunteer shifts through Sharp Lends a Hand, our community volunteer program.
- Check in for your shift with the volunteer coordinator.
- Provide a copy of your confirmation email for future shifts. We understand you may only be able to show 2 registrations due to how far out the schedules are open. Therefore, a verbal commitment for the third shift is acceptable.