Sharp Chula Vista, Sharp Coronado and Sharp Grossmont employees are required to complete all American Heart Association (AHA) certifications in RQI at their facility. Please do not register for these in-person class dates below and contact your supervisor with questions.
This eight-hour AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) renewal course is intended for registered nurses who currently work in an Emergency Department where these certifications are utilized.
This fast-paced course reviews the knowledge and skills to evaluate and manage the first 10 minutes of an adult cardiovascular emergency.
Students are required to manage the 10 core ACLS cases:
- Five types of pre-arrest emergencies (bradycardia, stable bradycardia, stable tachycardia, unstable tachycardia and acute coronary syndromes)
- Four types of cardiac arrest (simple VF/VT, complex VF/VT, PEA and asystole)
- Respiratory emergency
Students are required to demonstrate knowledge of the PALS course content:
- 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
- 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
- Cardiac, respiratory and shock case discussions and simulations
- Management of respiratory emergencies
- Resuscitation team concept
- Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
- Systematic approach to pediatric assessment
- Vascular access
Upon successful completion of the class, students will receive an email the next business day with instructions on claiming their two-year Course Completion eCards through the AHA’s website. Paper cards will no longer be distributed at the class.
Registration for this class is required. Walk-ins will not be accepted. If you do not receive an email confirming your enrollment, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277).
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
A fee of 100 percent
will be deducted from the amount paid if you cancel your registration less than 24 hours
before the event.
Due to ongoing construction, there is limited on-site parking at the Sharp Corporate Office. Please park in the structure located to the north of Spectrum Center Boulevard on Sunroad Centrum Lane.
To park in the structure, a pass is required. You will receive a parking pass with a map in a separate email from your registration confirmation. Please print the parking pass, write in the date of your class at the top and make sure to display it on your vehicle’s windshield.
You will need the key code number located on the second page of the PDF document in order to enter the structure. Please park on levels 5, 6 or 7 only, as vehicles parking in the incorrect location or not displaying the permit will be subject to towing.
You will need to walk across the street to enter the Sharp Corporate Office, so please make sure to arrive in plenty of time to get to class on time.
Please note that Sharp employees are subject to a $50 payroll deduction if they do not attend or if they cancel or reschedule less than 24 hours prior to the start time of the class.
Traveling nurses currently on assignment with Sharp can register at a discount. Please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277) and provide the agent with your Lawson number to enroll.
If you selected the BLS provider option in the materials section, please follow the instructions below:
- When you sign up, add the option with the BLS provider to your cart.
- Once purchased, your "BLS for Healthcare Providers Online Part 1" course key will be emailed to you by 5 pm the next business day. If you did not receive the email, please check your junk or trash folders prior to contacting us.
- The email that you receive will include a link to the website where you will activate your course key, complete the 10 mandatory checkpoints, written evaluation and evaluation survey at your convenience.
- Print the online completion certificate. The certificate is valid for 60 days from the date of completion.
- Bring your completion certificate to your ACLS/PALS renewal class and complete the skills assessment there.
- Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will receive an email the next business day with instructions on claiming your two-year Course Completion eCard through the AHA’s website. Paper cards will no longer be distributed at the class.
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. If a class is cancelled, you will be notified by phone two days before the class and will have the opportunity to attend another date or receive a full refund of the registration fee.
Face coverings are required to be worn at all of Sharp’s non-medical facilities when physical distancing of 6 feet or more is not possible and in common areas such as stairwells, elevators, break rooms, lobbies and hallways. You must bring a face covering with you to class. Anyone who does not have a face covering will be asked to reschedule.
Due to recommended precautions against coronavirus (COVID-19), we will not have any students demonstrate breathing directly into a mask, mouthpiece or manikin. For purposes of our classes, you will practice and test using a bag-valve-mask for respirations. Before we start class, we ask that you wash your hands and use hand sanitizer as needed during the class. If you are currently ill, especially if you have respiratory symptoms, please notify the instructor and reschedule for another date once you are well.
Students who arrive five minutes after class starts will be asked to reschedule.
It is mandatory that you bring the following with you to class in order to proceed with testing:
- Sharp Cardiac Training Center ACLS & PALS Supplemental Study Guides
- Photo ID
- Online completion certificate (if you selected the BLS renewal card option)
- Face covering
- If your class is at the Sharp Corporate Office (Spectrum), it is mandatory that you bring your Sharp ID badge if you are an employee.
The AHA requires each student have access to a current textbook for this course before, during and after the class.
If you are not a Sharp employee and do not have the current AHA textbooks for this course, you can purchase a copy of the 2020 AHA Provider Student Manuals in advance through the American Heart Association eBookstore at ShopCPR.Heart.org (ACLS Product Code 20-3100; PALS Product Code 20-3120). Please note that the cost of the textbook is a separate charge paid directly to the AHA and is not included in your class fee.
If you are a Sharp HealthCare employee, you can borrow a copy of the 2020 AHA Student Manuals at class or in advance at the Sharp Corporate Office in the Human Resources office in the lobby.
Sharp HealthCare does not offer CME units for this class.
This class is provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70) for up to 8.0 contact hours.