This half-day online seminar is open to Sharp Grossmont Hospital Behavioral Health employees only. It is designed as a refresher for nurses who have completed the one-day Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) course and also serves as initial instruction to non-nursing personnel, including social workers, psychologists and therapists, who have regular contact with patients.
The virtual course will reinforce crisis prevention and emphasizes early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behavior, including CPI's Personal Safety Techniques.
By attending, you will learn how to:
- Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level
- Identify useful nonverbal techniques which can help prevent acting-out behavior
- Use verbal techniques to de-escalate behavior
- Demonstrate CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety to avoid injury if behavior escalates to a physical level
- Provide for the care, welfare, safety and security of all those who are involved in a crisis situation
- Understand and develop team intervention strategies and techniques
- Recognize the importance of staff attitudes and professionalism in responding effectively to those in your charge
- Demonstrate physical control and restraint positions to be implemented when physical control is necessary as a last resort due to an individual’s dangerous behavior
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Please note that this class is open to Sharp Grossmont Behavioral Health employees only. If you do not work in the Behavioral Health Department and still enroll for this course, your registration will be canceled and no notice will be provided.
This class will be taught by Teresa Winkler, LMFT, RMT, who is the supervisor of Therapy Services, and Maria Parra, RN, who is a lead clinical nurse at Sharp Grossmont Hospital.
A lunch break will not be provided during this class.
Please note that this class will be held live online. You can attend via your phone, computer, smartphone or tablet. Login instructions will be emailed to you one day before the first class by the instructor.
If you did not receive the login instructions, please call us at 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, from 7 am to 7 pm.
Please plan to pick up a CPI book from the Sharp Grossmont Behavioral Health administration's education office before your class.
This course is provider-approved by the California Board of Nursing (Provider No. 70) for 2.0 contact hours.