This program prepares the nurse to act during a diabetic crisis. The focus is on management of fluids, electrolytes, dextrose and insulin.
At the completion of this program the nurse will be able to:
- Explain the physiologic alterations of diabetic emergencies (DKA, HHS, Hypoglycemia)
- Discuss the role of insulin and counter regulatory hormones in maintaining euglycemia
- Provide the rationale for avoiding low blood glucose during the acute phase of DKA
- Prioritize nursing interventions during a diabetic crisis
- Respond to changes in laboratory data
- Provide the rationale for avoiding low blood glucose during the acute phase of DKA or HHS
Registration is limited to Sharp Coronado, Sharp Grossmont, Sharp Memorial and SRN nurses who work in the ICU.
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Hospital parking is available in Parking Structure 2. Parking is free for visits under an hour. For one-to-four-hour visits, the rate is $4. Fees beyond four hours are an additional $2 every 15 minutes with a maximum of $20 a day. A multiday parking pass is available from the parking attendant for $15.
Approved for 2.5 contact hours by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70).