Classes and Events
Educational Opportunities Class for New Sharp Chula Vista ICU Staff
This six-hour course is mandatory for all registered nurses who are new to the ICU at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center. It is designed to supplement the knowledge and skills that you gained during clinical orientation. The instructor will show you how to improve patient outcomes in the areas of hospital-acquired infection, sedation management and maintaining dignity at the end of life.
This course will cover the following areas:
- Discuss background of catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI), central line-associated bloodstream infection (CLABSI) and ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAPs)
- Review prevalence of CAUTI, CLABSI and VAPs in the Sharp Chula Vista MICU and SICU
- Identify indications for indwelling and central catheters
- Analyze insertion checklist and watch SureStep and dressing change video with “cross monitoring” expectations
- Return demonstration of catheter insertion
- Discuss removal of catheters and extubation expectations
- Examine nurse drive protocols, policy and algorithms
- Discuss use of restraints in the ICU
- Examine the confusion assessment method for the ICU and PowerPlan involved in delirium management
- Discuss the philosophy of end-of-life care
Refreshments will be provided.