This class is designed to give Sharp Memorial registered nurses an overview of what essential information they need to know in order to provide care to heart transplant recipients. The instructors will go over content pertinent to ICU care and the post-transplant phases, including the possibility of rejection and infection. They will also address the use of immune suppressing medications.
At the completion of the course, the learner will:
1. Understand donor recipient matching
2. State nursing priorities immediately post-op
- Describe potential post-operative complications
- Anticipate immediate post-op, post-extubation and transfer orders
- Discuss treatment for acute right heart failure
3. Discuss immunosuppressant concepts in transplantation
- Understand transplant pharmacology
- Describe transplant rejection pathophysiology
- Recognize types of rejection
- Identify clinical findings and treatment modalities for rejection and infection
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Parking is available on the street in front of the Knollwood Building or in the garage on Birmingham Drive. The entrance to the Birmingham parking garage requires an activated employee badge.
This class is open to Sharp Memorial Hospital registered nurses who care for heart transplant patients in the MICU, SICU and 5W PCU only.
Kristi Ortiz is a nurse practitioner in the Heart Transplant Department at Sharp Memorial Hospital.
This course is provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70) for 4.0 contact hours.