This program prepares Sharp ICU and Emergency Department nurses to follow the ICU continuous insulin infusion protocol. The focus of this class is on initiation of the infusion, proper adjustment following trends to remain in goal and successful transition to subcutaneous insulin.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- List concepts that direct insulin infusion management
- Identify factors that drive insulin titiration: insulin sensitivity, metabolic changes and carbohydrate exposure
- Describe procedural steps of initiating insulin infusion
- Identify guiding principles to adjust to trends or changes in eating patterns
- Demonstrate insulin adjustments through the three phases of CII orders: start-up, maintenance and transition
- Describe steps in preventing and treating hypoglycemia while on an insulin infusion
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Hospital parking is available in Parking Structure 2. Parking is free for visits under an hour. For one-to-four-hour visits, the rate is $4. Fees beyond four hours are an additional $2 every 15 minutes with a maximum of $20 a day. A multiday parking pass is available from the parking attendant for $15.
This class is for Sharp HealthCare nurses who work in the ICU or Emergency Department only.
Classes at Sharp Grossmont: Marty Engle, MSN, RN, APRN-C, CDE, Inpatient Diabetes Nurse Educator
Classes at Sharp Memorial: Karen Rique, RN, MSN, CDE, Inpatient Diabetes Nurse Specialist, or Irma Moore, MS, RN, CNS, NP, CDE, Inpatient Diabetes Nurse Specialist
This class is provider-approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70) for 2.0 contact hours.