This class is designed for registered nurses who work for Sharp Home Health or in the 5W PCU, MICU and SICU at Sharp Memorial Hospital. It will give critical care nurses an overview of the essential information necessary to provide care for heart transplant recipients.
The instructor will go over content pertinent to ICU and PCU care and the post-transplant phases, including the possibility of rejection and infection. She will also address the use of immune suppressing medications.
At the completion of the course, the learner will:
1. Understand donor recipient matching
2. State nursing priorities immediately post-op
- Describe potential post-operative complications
- Anticipate immediate post-op, post-extubation and transfer orders
- Discuss treatment for acute right heart failure
3. Discuss immunosuppressant concepts in transplantation
- Understand transplant pharmacology
- Describe transplant rejection pathophysiology
- Recognize types of rejection
- Identify clinical findings and treatment modalities for rejection and infection
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Parking is available on the street in front of the Knollwood Building or in the garage on Birmingham Drive. The entrance to the Birmingham parking garage requires an activated employee badge.
Kristi Ortiz, MS, RN, NP, is a nurse practitioner in the Heart Transplant Department at Sharp Memorial Hospital.
Please make sure to arrive on time.
Please bring your RN license number to the class in order to obtain your CEU credits.
This course is provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70) for 4.0 contact hours.