This course is designed to prepare nurses to care for patients with a Datascope intra-aortic balloon pump. Participants should have experience with hemodynamic monitoring and work in an area where IAB therapy is utilized such as critical care, the cath lab or the operating room.
Nurses are welcome to attend a class at any location. IABC Basics concepts are the same at all locations, although pumps may differ slightly.
Upon completion of this class, the participant will be able to:
- Correlate the anatomy and physiology associated with the cardiac cycle to an arterial pressure waveform
- Define two physiological effects achieved by the mechanics of inflation and deflation of the IABP
- Delineate major complications associated with IABP therapy
- Demonstrate proper set up of the Datascope IABP and initiation of pumping
- Describe the nursing care for patients requiring IABP support
- Discuss the consequences of improper IABP timing
- Identify four indications and three contraindications for IABP therapy
- Troubleshoot commonly encountered alarm/trigger/timing conditions for the Datascope IABP
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Patients and visitors can park in the parking garage located next to the hospital. The first hour is free. Patient visits are $4 for every 24 hours (with proof of visit). Visitors are charged $4 for 1 to 4 hours, and
$2 for every 15 minutes thereafter (maximum of $20 a day). Multiday passes are available for $15 for 7 days.
Valet parking is available Monday through Friday in front of the main hospital entrance and the emergency room from 8 am to 5:30 pm for $7 ($3 with handicapped placard).
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. If a class is cancelled, you will be notified in advance.
Pam Le Blanc, RN, BSN, Clinical Support Specialist, Maquet.
It is mandatory that you complete the two accredited Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Therapy eLearnings programs before coming to class. Please follow these steps below to complete the online learning portion of this course:
Step 1: Go to the Getinge Educational Academy website (https://getinge.training).
Step 2: Create an online account (no charge) if you do not already have one.
Step 3: Under All Courses in the top menu bar, select ELearning Modules from the drop-down menu.
Step 4: Complete the two programs under Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Therapy eLearnings
- Intra-aortic Balloon Pump: Theory of Counterpulsation (1.5 CEUs upon completion)
- Cardiosave Intra-aortic Balloon Pump (no CEUs upon completion – equipment focused, not didactic)
Step 5: Bring a copy of the certificate of completion for each program to the hand-on training session.
This course is Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70) for 4.5 contact hours.
You must bring your RN license with you to the class to receive the CEUs.