Classes and Events
Nursing Assistant Support of the Stroke Patient Class
This two-hour class is mandatory for licensed vocational nurses, nursing assistants and health care assistants who work in the stroke units at Sharp Grossmont Hospital (SICU, 1 Medical, Emergency Department, 5E). It will provide an overview of stroke care during hospitalization by the nursing assistant support staff.
Employees will review stroke care and how to manage the different concerns that stroke patients have during their daily activities, such as proper positioning, bed mobility, safe transfers, toileting and safe swallowing.
At completion of this course, staff will be able to:
- Identify and differentiate between the different types of stroke
- Identify the warning signs and risk factors related to stroke
- Identify BEFAST and stroke code criteria
- Identify common stroke deficits
- Describe management and workup related to stroke
- State the roles and responsibilities of certified nursing assistants related to the management of the stroke patient
Please note that this class meets the Joint Commission's requirement of two hours of stroke competency per year.