This two-day course employs the Pediatric Advanced Life Support curriculum designed by the American Heart Association.
The classroom, video-based, instructor-led course uses a series of simulated pediatric emergencies to reinforce the important concepts of a systematic approach to:
- Basic life support
- Effective resuscitation
- PALS treatment algorithms
- Pediatric assessment
- Team dynamics
The PALS Course is for healthcare providers who respond to emergencies in infants and children.
- 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
- 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
- Cardiac, respiratory and shock case discussions and simulations
- Management of respiratory emergencies
- Resuscitation team concept
- Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
- Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment
- Vascular access
Upon successful completion of the class, students will receive an email the next business day with instructions on claiming their two-year Course Completion eCard through the AHA’s website. Paper cards will no longer be distributed at the class.
Registration for this class is required. Walk-ins will not be accepted. If you do not receive an email confirming your enrollment, please call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277).
What people are saying about our PALS Class:
“My instructor was amazing! (She) was very receptive towards students and emphasizes the take-home messages."
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Parking is free in the Brier Patch lot.
Please note that Sharp employees are subject to a $50 payroll deduction if they do not attend or if they cancel or reschedule less than 24 hours prior to the start time of the class.
If you selected the option with the BLS provider option in the materials section, please follow the instructions below:
- When you sign up, add the option with the BLS provider to your cart.
- Once purchased, your "BLS for Healthcare Providers Online Part 1" course key will be emailed to you by 5 pm the next business day. If you did not receive the email, please check your junk or trash folders prior to contacting us.
- The e-mail that you receive will include a link to the website where you will activate your course key, complete the 10 mandatory checkpoints, written evaluation and evaluation survey at your convenience.
- Print the online completion certificate. The certificate is valid for 60 days from the date of purchase.
- Bring your completion certificate to your PALS class and complete the skills assessment there.
- Upon a successful assessment, you will receive an email the next business day with instructions on claiming your two-year Course Completion eCard through the AHA’s website. Paper cards will no longer be distributed at the class.
Participants will be practicing skills that require working on the floor and having hands-on contact with the mannequins and fellow students. If you have any physical conditions that might prevent these activities, please notify the Cardiac Training Center by calling 619-740-4226.
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. If a class is cancelled, you will be notified by phone two days before the class and will have the opportunity to attend another date or receive a full refund of the registration fee.
Effective June 8, 2020, face coverings are required to be worn at all of Sharp’s non-medical facilities when physical distancing of 6 feet or more is not possible and in common areas such as stairwells, elevators, break rooms, lobbies and hallways. You must bring a face covering with you to class. Anyone who does not have a face covering will be asked to reschedule.
Due to recommended precautions against coronavirus (COVID-19), we will not have any students demonstrate breathing directly into a mask, mouthpiece or manikin. For purposes of our classes, you will practice and test using a bag-valve-mask for respirations. Before we start class, we ask that you wash your hands and use hand sanitizer as needed during the class. If you are currently ill, especially if you have respiratory symptoms, please notify the instructor and reschedule for another date once you are well.
Participants who arrive more than five minutes after the class start time will be asked to reschedule.
Please bring to class a face covering, photo ID, the Sharp Cardiac Training Center PALS Supplemental Study Guide and the online completion certificate (if you selected the BLS provider option). If you are not able to fulfill these requirements, you will be required to reschedule.
A lunch break will be provided and you may bring your own food.
The AHA requires each student have access to a current textbook for this course before, during and after the class.
If you are not a Sharp employee and do not have a current AHA textbook for this course, you can purchase a copy of the 2015 AHA Provider Student Manual in advance through the American Heart Association eBookstore at ebooks.heart.org (Product Code 15-3120). Please note that the cost of the textbook is a separate charge paid directly to the AHA and is not included in your class fee.
If you are a Sharp HealthCare employee, you can borrow a copy of the 2015 AHA Student Manual at class or in advance from one of our library locations. Library locations will be sent to employees in a separate email after registration.
Participants can get as many as 12.0 CEU contact hours.