Classes and Events
Sharp Grossmont Hospital Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Refresher Class
This half-day seminar is open to Sharp Grossmont Hospital employees only. It is designed as a refresher for nurses who have completed the one-day Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) course and also serves as initial instruction to non-nursing personnel, including social workers, psychologists and therapists, who have regular contact with patients.
The course will reinforce crisis prevention and emphasizes early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behavior, including CPI's Personal Safety Techniques.
By attending, you will learn how to:
- Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level
- Identify useful nonverbal techniques which can help prevent acting-out behavior
- Use verbal techniques to de-escalate behavior
- Demonstrate CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety to avoid injury if behavior escalates to a physical level
- Provide for the care, welfare, safety and security of all those who are involved in a crisis situation
- Understand and develop team intervention strategies and techniques
- Recognize the importance of staff attitudes and professionalism in responding effectively to those in your charge
- Demonstrate physical control and restraint positions to be implemented when physical control is necessary as a last resort due to an individual’s dangerous behavior