Get the latest COVID-19 information: vaccines, testing, getting care and more
Doctor's office
Enter your doctor's name to get office information.
Find labs in your network
Enter your primary care doctor's name to find labs in your network.
Find urgent care centers in your network
Enter your primary care doctor's name to find urgent care centers in your network.
Verify your medical group

Refer to your insurance card or call your insurance provider to determine your medical group.

You can also search for your primary care doctor to find the medical group you and your doctor belong to.

Driving Directions
Update Information
Forgot Password

Please enter your e-mail address.

Sharp Health News

How to get care for illness or injury unrelated to COVID-19

Jan. 19, 2021

How to get care for illness or injury unrelated to COVID-19
The message from public health officials has been clear: stay home and only leave your home for essential trips. So, what should you do if you develop a new or worsening health condition during self-quarantine?

According to Dr. Phil Yphantides, medical director for Sharp Rees-Stealy Urgent Care Centers, the steps you take now to receive appropriate care for any medical concern are much like the steps you have always taken. Step one is to contact your primary care provider.

Online and in-person care is available
"It is appropriate to contact your doctor online, such as through your patient portal, or by phone for any illness, injury or medical issue, whether related to possible COVID-19 or other concerns," Dr. Yphantides says. "The Sharp Rees-Stealy urgent care centers remain open to care for all patients needing in-person care, whether for respiratory illness or other concerns such as injuries, wounds, skin infections, allergic reactions, urinary tract infections and other routine medical problems."

However, Dr. Yphantides suggests that some mild symptoms, such as those that indicate you may have a regular cold or even a mild influenza-like illness, can be treated at home. He recommends that you isolate yourself within your home and avoid being around others, if possible. Over-the-counter products containing acetaminophen (Tylenol), can help relieve headaches, muscle aches, sore throats, sinus pain and fevers.

"For mild illness, there is no need to seek in-person care," he says. "Our teams of doctors and nurses are still working and available to provide the care you need, with much of the current care being done through video and phone visits. If an in-person evaluation is needed, your doctor will direct you to the best place to receive that care, whether that be in the office, urgent care, emergency room or even directly with a specialist."

Precautions taken during COVID-19 pandemic
If it is determined that you need in-person, non-emergency care, it is safe to be seen in clinics or urgent care centers. According to Dr. Yphantides, Sharp Rees-Stealy has separated all medical care given to patients with fever and respiratory illness from patients with other medical concerns. If you don't have a fever or respiratory concerns, you will be cared for by a separate team of doctors and nurses.

"As you enter our parking lots, you will be greeted and directed to park on one side of the lot if you have fever or a respiratory concern," Dr. Yphantides says. "From there, you will be given a mask and directed to use hand sanitizer, and you will be evaluated in our Outdoor Respiratory Clinic by a team equipped to care for you there. All other patients will be allowed to enter the regular urgent care entrance to receive care."

Regardless of symptoms, all patients seeking care should have their own face cover or mask covering nose and mouth. Patients without a mask will be given one to wear before entering the treatment area to ensure their own safety as well as the safety of the staff.

When to seek emergency care
It's important to recognize when you should seek emergency care. If an illness or injury is severe, you should head to the ER. There are protocols in place to identify and separate patients with COVID-19 symptoms.

Seek emergency care if you or a loved one are experiencing:
  • Severe abdominal pain
  • A complex fracture with a bone protruding through the skin
  • Significant head injury
  • Sudden and severe headaches
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Behavior that puts oneself or others at risk
Call 911 if you or a loved one are experiencing a potential life- or limb-threatening emergency — including trouble speaking or facial drooping, which could indicate stroke; sudden and severe chest pain, which could indicate heart attack; loss of consciousness; seizures; or other conditions.

"It is safe to come to any Sharp facility for your medical needs," Dr. Yphantides says. "Please note that in order to protect your safety, the safety of our care providers and your loved ones, we have updated the visitation policies for our hospitals, urgent care centers and other facilities to protect those who are most vulnerable. We ask that all patients and guests follow these guidelines." 

If you're looking for a new doctor, your care at Sharp Rees-Stealy medical Centers begins with a physician who truly listens. Video visits are with your own doctor. In-person or virtual urgent care is availble daily. And Sharp accepts almost all health insurance. Choose a Sharp Rees-Stealy doctor today.

You might also like:

Choose the doctor who's right for you.

At Sharp, we make it easy to find an exceptional doctor — right where you live and work.

All Categories
Contact Sharp HealthCare
Call us

Call 1-800-827-4277 or view our detailed phone directory.

For medical or psychiatric emergencies, call 911 immediately.

Email us

Please do not use this form to convey personal or medical information.

How would you like to be contacted?
Date of birth

What's This?

These important numbers are located on your billing statement.

Find your Sharp Rees-Stealy account number

Find your SharpCare account number

Find your SharpCare account number
What's GDPR?

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) governs the processing of personal information gathered from individuals while they are in the European Union (EU) and parts of the EEA (European Economic Area, which currently includes Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway).

We are sorry, but we are unable to process your price estimate if you live or are travelling within the EU or affiliated nations.

What's This?

Many surgery and procedure names sound similar. If possible, please provide the current procedure terminology (CPT) code, which can be found on the order from your doctor.

If you cannot provide the CPT code, please contact your doctor's office for the CPT or a detailed description of services.