Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
NICU Navigator Program at Sharp Mary Birch
Providing comfort to parents.
At Sharp Mary Birch, we understand that having a child in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) can be overwhelming. That's why we created the NICU Navigator Program, the only program of its kind in San Diego County. This unique program is designed to connect parents whose babies are currently in the NICU with those of babies who previously graduated from the NICU to provide advice, encouragement and a comforting shoulder.
These Navigators — along with our skilled caregivers — are a valuable source of information and guidance for families during this time. They are available to provide you with emotional support and help you understand what to expect during your child's time in the NICU.
How the NICU Navigator Program can help.
NICU Navigators can:
- Answer questions parents have, or direct them to the appropriate resource
- Help parents stay organized and assist them with keeping track of information
- Prepare families for the transition from hospital to home
- Provide suggestions on how to talk to parents' other children about the new baby being in the NICU
- Recommend ways to update friends and loved ones in a personal and easy way
- Help moms prepare for feeding their NICU baby
All about Parent Hour.
Parent Hour is an hour-long informational session that focuses on enhancing a parent's developing relationship with his or her newborn. Each session focuses on different topics such as:
- Bonding with your NICU baby
- Breastfeeding in the NICU
- Dads' Night
- Family Night
- Preparing for discharge from the NICU
- Feeding your NICU baby
- Medications commonly used in the NICU
- Nutrition in the NICU
- Parent Power Hour
- Premature growth and development
Facilitated by NICU staff members with a variety of expertise, Parent Hour empowers parents to become more knowledgeable about their newborn. Light refreshments are served, and the informal environment invites attendees to share experiences and establish friendships with fellow parents. Parents may start attending Parent Hour at any point during their newborn's stay in the NICU.
For more information, including Parent Hour dates, times and location, call us at 858-939-4802.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"My job is to be an advocate for your child's health and, as such, I want to be a trusted resource for parents."
"It is a privilege to listen to and provide the highest quality of medical care to my patients."
"I provide the highest level of quality service by developing a collaborative relationship with my patient."
"I take the time to listen to my patients' issues and work with them to find a solution."
"My mission is to provide the best prenatal care possible in a compassionate and understanding way."
"My goal is to care for each person as an individual and provide a unique experience for all."