Sharp Memorial Hospital
Pre-Anesthesia Evaluation Services
Helping you prepare for surgery.
When you're told you need surgery, you'll have a lot of questions and concerns. At Sharp, we want to ease your concerns, ensure your confidence and be at your side every step of the way.
Our Pre-Anesthesia Evaluation Services (PAES) department works with your surgeon, anesthesiologist and operating room staff to give you seamless care from the get-go. For your surgeries at Sharp Mary Birch, Sharp Memorial Hospital or Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion, we work as a team with a collaborative focus on you.
Here are some questions we're often asked regarding our PAES team and process. If you have more questions, please give us a call at 858-939-3295, Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 5:30 pm.
What is PAES testing?
Certain procedures or medical conditions may require your doctor to order routine testing such as lab work, EKGs and select X-rays. And your anesthesiologist may request additional studies based on your medical history. Pre-admission testing ensures you are thoroughly prepared for surgery in a timely, unhurried manner.
What will my nursing interview evaluation entail?
A registered nurse will discuss your health history with you, including allergies and medications, known medical conditions or other relevant information over the phone. Should specific questions arise, your PAES nurse may ask for a consultation with one of our anesthesiologists. You may also be scheduled for an appointment to come to the PAES clinic for additional testing or consultation.
How should I prepare for surgery?
Your doctor will schedule your surgery with the hospital. Once it's scheduled, make sure you provide your surgeon and PAES with your correct name, date of birth, and phone numbers where you can be reached (cell, home, work) for any changes in your surgery or arrival time.
On your day of surgery, please check in at the specific surgery location instructed by your PAES nurse. Keep in mind that surgery times may change if emergency situations arise.
Please download the following PDFs to help you fully prepare for your surgery.
- Patient checklist in preparation for surgery
- Frequently asked questions about surgical site infections
- Guide to blood transfusion, also available in Spanish
- Eating and drinking instructions before surgery — Sharp Memorial Hospital and Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion
- Eating and drinking instructions before surgery — Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
- Medication instructions for patients with diabetes, also available in Spanish
- Medication instructions for patients with diabetes (table format), also available in Spanish
- Pre-operative skin care instructions
What should I bring the day of surgery?
You should bring the following items with you on the day of your surgery:
- Copy of your advance directive
- Current insurance information
- Driver's license or photo ID
- List of medications and allergies (include dosages, vitamins and dietary supplements) (PDF)
- Your glasses and/or contact lens case and solution; contact lenses must be removed before surgery
- Copy of ID card for your pacemaker or your implantable cardioverter defibrillator (AICD), if applicable
Download a checklist for what you'll need to bring with you (PDF).
Information for professionals.
Doctors and staff may download the following PDF documents.
- Pre-op testing plan for inpatients
- Pre-op testing plan for outpatients
- Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion scheduling form
- Sharp Memorial spine surgery scheduling form
- Sharp Memorial surgery scheduling form
- Sharp Mary Birch standardized surgery booking form
- Medical history form
- Patient home medications form
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I am passionate about education and ensure that my patients are always well informed."
"I take the time to listen to each patient and determine strategies in order to minimize health risks."
"The Sharp Experience means providing the highest quality of women's health care possible."
"My patients will always have my full attention and I will do my best to help them."