Audiology Patient Resources
To better serve you and provide the information you may need prior to your audiology appointment, we have provided information sheets and a list of procedures with their definitions below for your convenience.
Information for electrophysiological testing.
Procedures and glossary of terms.
- Bone anchored hearing aid: A bone anchored hearing aid is most often surgically placed for hearing loss that falls outside of the criteria for a traditional hearing aid.
- Cochlear implant procedure: Cochlear implants are used in cases of severe to profound hearing loss for which hearing aids no longer provide enough speech clarity. A surgically implanted electrode array provides electrical stimulation to the auditory nerve.
- Comprehensive audiogram: A test that examines your hearing acuity to speech and tones, used to define the type and degree of hearing impairment.
- Hearing aid evaluation and fitting: An audiologist carefully selects a hearing aid(s) from a wide variety of styles and brands to fit your individual hearing and lifestyle needs.
- Hearing loss
- Otoacoustic emissions: A small, soft tip is placed in the ear canal to measure the activity of hair cells in the inner ear.
- Pediatric behavioral testing: Measures hearing acuity of children ages 6 months to 5 years old by conditioning the child to look toward lighted toys and/or hearing blocks when sound is heard.
- Tympanogram: Measures the movement of the eardrum, used to define a punctured eardrum, the effectiveness of ear tubes and the status of the middle ear.
For more information about Sharp Rees-Stealy's Audiology and Hearing Services, call one of the locations listed above. This department may require prior approval from your primary care doctor. For help choosing a Sharp Rees-Stealy doctor who is right for you, call 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm, or search for Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors in San Diego.
"I strive to evaluate the global health of children and to avoid unnecessary medicines."
"I combine the best medical and surgical resources with a caring bedside manner for a high-quality experience."
"I strive to deliver optimal care for patients with inflammatory rheumatic conditions."
"I provide service excellence, teaming with patients and family members and continuing to improve care overall."
"My job is to be an advocate for your child's health and, as such, I want to be a trusted resource for parents."