Audiology Patient Resources
To better serve you and provide the information you may need prior to your audiology appointment, we have provided information sheets and a list of procedures with their definitions below for your convenience.
Information for electrophysiological testing.
Procedures and glossary of terms.
- Bone anchored hearing aid: A bone anchored hearing aid is most often surgically placed for hearing loss that falls outside of the criteria for a traditional hearing aid.
- Cochlear implant procedure: Cochlear implants are used in cases of severe to profound hearing loss for which hearing aids no longer provide enough speech clarity. A surgically implanted electrode array provides electrical stimulation to the auditory nerve.
- Comprehensive audiogram: A test that examines your hearing acuity to speech and tones, used to define the type and degree of hearing impairment.
- Hearing aid evaluation and fitting: An audiologist carefully selects a hearing aid(s) from a wide variety of styles and brands to fit your individual hearing and lifestyle needs.
- Hearing loss
- Otoacoustic emissions: A small, soft tip is placed in the ear canal to measure the activity of hair cells in the inner ear.
- Pediatric behavioral testing: Measures hearing acuity of children ages 6 months to 5 years old by conditioning the child to look toward lighted toys and/or hearing blocks when sound is heard.
- Tympanogram: Measures the movement of the eardrum, used to define a punctured eardrum, the effectiveness of ear tubes and the status of the middle ear.
For more information about Sharp Rees-Stealy's Audiology and Hearing Services, call one of the locations listed above. This department may require prior approval from your primary care doctor. For help choosing a Sharp Rees-Stealy doctor who is right for you, call 1-800-82-SHARP ( 1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm, or search for Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors in San Diego.
"I've dedicated my life to meeting both the psychological and physical needs of my patients."
"I strive to take as much time as the patient feels is needed to answer their questions and help them."
"I foster open communication to deliver the highest quality of patient-centered care."
"It is a privilege to be able to connect and build relationships with my patients."
"I strive to meet and exceed expectations, as well as provide optimal care in a caring, compassionate manner."
"It is an honor to work for a well-organized institution that provides physicians with the tools necessary for excellent patient care."
"I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to provide compassionate care for women of all ages."
"I believe high-quality health care is best achieved through strong patient-physician relationships and open communication."