Audiology Patient Resources
To better serve you and provide the information you may need prior to your audiology appointment, we have provided information sheets and a list of procedures with their definitions below for your convenience.
Information for electrophysiological testing.
Procedures and glossary of terms.
- Bone anchored hearing aid: A bone anchored hearing aid is most often surgically placed for hearing loss that falls outside of the criteria for a traditional hearing aid.
- Cochlear implant procedure: Cochlear implants are used in cases of severe to profound hearing loss for which hearing aids no longer provide enough speech clarity. A surgically implanted electrode array provides electrical stimulation to the auditory nerve.
- Comprehensive audiogram: A test that examines your hearing acuity to speech and tones, used to define the type and degree of hearing impairment.
- Hearing aid evaluation and fitting: An audiologist carefully selects a hearing aid(s) from a wide variety of styles and brands to fit your individual hearing and lifestyle needs.
- Hearing loss
- Otoacoustic emissions: A small, soft tip is placed in the ear canal to measure the activity of hair cells in the inner ear.
- Pediatric behavioral testing: Measures hearing acuity of children ages 6 months to 5 years old by conditioning the child to look toward lighted toys and/or hearing blocks when sound is heard.
- Tympanogram: Measures the movement of the eardrum, used to define a punctured eardrum, the effectiveness of ear tubes and the status of the middle ear.
For more information about Sharp Rees-Stealy's Audiology and Hearing Services, call one of the locations listed above. This department may require prior approval from your primary care doctor. For help choosing a Sharp Rees-Stealy doctor who is right for you, call 1-800-82-SHARP ( 1-800-827-4277), Monday through Friday, 8 am to 6 pm, or search for Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors in San Diego.
"I provide the highest level of quality service by developing a collaborative relationship with my patient."
"I enjoy the intellectual challenge of medicine, helping others and forming relationships with patients."
"It is an honor to work for a well-organized institution that provides physicians with the tools necessary for excellent patient care."
"I foster open communication to deliver the highest quality of patient-centered care."
"The Sharp Experience allows me to bring an elevated level of care to my patients."