Update on Flu Cases
Like all San Diego County health care providers, we have seen an increase in patients with flu symptoms.
While very busy, Sharp emergency departments, urgent care centers and medical offices are ready to care for all patients with urgent and emergency needs. Our facilities have implemented standard measures to care for the high volume of patients.
Flu symptoms and when to seek medical care.
Flu symptoms include five to seven days of fever, significant body aches, headache, sore throat, nasal and chest congestion, cough and fatigue. If you have a fever over 100 degrees, stay home and avoid contact with other people until the fever is gone.
If you have mild flu or other non-urgent, non-emergency symptoms, we recommend avoiding emergency rooms or urgent care centers for health care advice.
If you are experiencing flu symptoms and you're in a high-risk group (young children, over age 65, pregnant or have a certain medical condition such as asthma, diabetes or another chronic illness) or are very sick and worried about your illness, contact your primary care doctor.
Preventing the flu.
To prevent the flu:
- Get vaccinated
- Clean your hands thoroughly and often with soap and water or hand sanitizers
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Routinely clean and disinfect commonly touched surfaces including kitchen and bathroom counters, doorknobs, desks, phones and computer keyboards
- Stay home and avoid contact with other people if you have flu symptoms
The flu vaccine is readily available and is the best way to prevent or minimize the effects of the flu virus. The vaccine is available for everyone age 6 months and older.
People with these conditions are at especially high risk and should get vaccinated immediately:
- People with chronic medical conditions like asthma, other lung disease, cancer or diabetes
- People over age 65
- Pregnant women
- People who live with or care for others at high risk, including parents and caregivers of infants under 6 months of age
Flu vaccines are available from your doctor, MinuteClinics located in CVS stores throughout San Diego and many local pharmacies. Or call 211 to learn where you can receive a no-cost flu vaccine at a county health site.
Updated guidelines for hospital visitors.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in primary care in San Diego.
"Achieving the best possible outcomes for each of my patients is my highest concern."
"I empower each patient to achieve optimal health in order to live a long, healthy and happy life."