Modified Duty Program
Modified duty is one of the most important programs any employer can have. A modified duty program is a proactive approach to returning injured employees to a safe and productive work environment after they have suffered a work-related injury or illness.
Although injured employees may be unable to perform their regular jobs, they can often do different work while recovering fully from injuries. This program provides temporary alternatives for employees who have suffered a work-related injury or illness that is consistent with the medical restrictions prescribed by their treating physician.
According to Jeff Sugar, DO, MPH, Sharp Rees-Stealy Occupational Health, "Injured workers tend to recover faster when they participate in modified duty. A modified duty program can also have a positive impact on employee morale for both the injured worker and their co-workers."
Benefits of our modified duty program.
Both employers and employees reaped benefits from return to work programs:
- Employers decreased disability costs
- Employees had a greater chance of returning to the same occupation
- Injured workers returned to work about twice as often as those who were not offered such programs
As an employer, here are some things you need to consider:
- Can the employee perform your work safely, observing all restrictions?
- Tell the employee to notify their supervisor if:
o They are unable to report for an assigned modified duty assignment
o They experience difficulties performing their assignments
o They will miss time because of scheduled physical therapy and/or medical exams