Minimally Invasive Osteoarthritis Knee Surgery
Sharp HealthCare is the only hospital system in San Diego County to offer a new advanced surgery option for early to mid-stage knee osteoarthritis.
If your chronic knee pain is limiting your quality of life, you may be concerned that a total joint replacement is inevitable. But if your pain is caused by early to mid-stage osteoarthritis, you could be a candidate for a new minimally invasive procedure called MAKOplasty®. Using the latest technology, surgeons synchronize a high-resolution CT scan with the RIO® robotic arm system to precisely identify and remove only the arthritic parts of the knee. Benefits of robotic surgery include less scarring; preservation of healthy bone, tissue and ligaments; rapid recovery; a shorter hospital stay; less pain; and a smaller incision.
Typically, patients who could be eligible for this procedure share the following characteristics:
- Failure to respond to nonsurgical treatments or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication
- Knee pain with activity, usually on the inner knee and/or under the knee cap, or the outer knee
- Start-up knee pain or stiffness when activities are initiated from a sitting position
As a knee arthroplasty, this procedure is typically covered by most Medicare-approved and private health insurers.
Why choose us?
- As part of a nationally recognized orthopedics program, Sharp-affiliated surgeons perform more than 1,500 joint replacement procedures at Sharp Coronado Hospital each year
- Sharp is the only hospital in San Diego County to perform this advanced procedure for treating chronic knee pain
- Sharp offers a unique combination of clinical quality, integrative therapies and a soothing environment that delivers an extraordinary level of healing
How it works.
Using robotic arm technology and 3-D modeling, surgeons precisely resurface only the painful, arthritic parts of the knee, preserving natural joint motion. The procedure is designed to relieve the pain caused by joint degeneration without the extensive rehab required for a total knee replacement.
Learn more about the benefits of MAKOplasty® for hip and knee replacements at this physician-led seminar.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I believe in focused and personal attention, education and technical surgical excellence."
"The Sharp Experience is about making patients feel they are the most important people in the world to me."