This course is designed to prepare Sharp Grossmont nurses to provide care to a patient with a Datascope intra-aortic balloon pump. Participants should have experience with hemodynamic monitoring.
Upon completion of this class, the participant will be able to:
- Correlate the anatomy and physiology associated with the cardiac cycle to an arterial pressure waveform
- Define two physiological effects achieved by the mechanics of inflation and deflation of the IABP
- Delineate major complications associated with IABP therapy
- Demonstrate proper set up of the Datascope IABP and initiation of pumping
- Describe the nursing care for patients requiring IABP support
- Discuss the consequences of improper IABP timing
- Identify four indications and three contraindications for IABP therapy
- Troubleshoot commonly encountered alarm/trigger/timing conditions for the Datascope IABP
Please note that this class will go over the utilization of the Cardiosave IABP.
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
A fee of $20
will be deducted from the amount paid if you cancel your registration less than 2 days
before the event.
Hospital parking is available in Parking Structure 2. Parking is free for visits under an hour. For one-to-four-hour visits, the rate is $4. Fees beyond four hours are an additional $2 every 15 minutes with a maximum of $20 a day. A multiday parking pass is available from the parking attendant for $15.
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. If a class is cancelled, you will be notified in advance.
Pam Le Blanc, RN, BSN, Clinical Support Specialist, Maquet.
Participants should have experience with hemodynamic monitoring and it is mandatory that they complete the Accredited E Learning: IABC Theory Program, which is available at https://getinge.training/d/course/1010001718. Please bring the completion certificate with you to class.
This course is Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (Provider No. 70) for 4.5 contact hours.
You must bring your RN license number with you to the class to receive the CEUs.