San Diego Bloodless Medicine and Surgery
You have choices in your care — including bloodless surgery.
At Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, we offer surgery options using bloodless techniques and procedures. Our Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Center is open to patients who, for religious or personal reasons, wish to avoid the use of blood transfusions during surgery.
Our comprehensive bloodless medical center is the only one of its kind in San Diego County — and one of only 125 hospitals in the U.S. to offer such services. Since 2003, we have successfully cared for more than 5,000 patients with blood conservation techniques.
We perform more than 90 percent of all surgeries without blood transfusions. By using progressive techniques to minimize blood loss, our team of highly skilled blood management specialists are able to retain an ample supply of the patient's own blood, eliminating the need for donor blood.
State-of-the-art bloodless medicine and surgery technology.
At Sharp, we are committed to meeting the special and personal needs of all patients. Our bloodless surgery procedures range from routine appendectomies to complex orthopedic and open-heart surgeries. Bloodless therapies include:
- Filtering and recirculating your own blood using a cell-saver machine
- Operating laparoscopically to reduce incision sizes
- Stimulating blood-cell production through the use of certain pharmaceuticals, such as Epogen/Procrit
- Using electrocautery and other tools to reduce blood loss
- Enhancing blood circulation using volume expanders
- Use of the da Vinci® robotic surgical system
- Use of medications to promote clotting, which may prevent excessive bleeding during surgery
Learn more about bloodless medicine at Sharp.
Explore Sharp Health News.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I provide compassionate and competent care with explanations in easily understood language."
"Dedication and friendliness are essential in delivering superior patient care."
"My goal is to go the extra mile for everyone and to treat each person as a unique individual."
"I practice medicine with a family approach and care for patients of all ages."
"I foster open communication to deliver the highest quality of patient-centered care."