This half-day seminar is for Sharp Mesa Vista and Sharp McDonald Center employees only. It reinforces crisis prevention and emphasizes early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behavior, including CPI's Personal Safety Techniques.
This course is a refresher for nursing personnel who have completed the one-day CPI course.
• Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level
• Identify useful non-verbal techniques which can help prevent acting-out behavior
• Use verbal techniques to de-escalate behavior
• Demonstrate CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety to avoid injury if behavior escalates to a physical level
• Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety and Security of all those who are involved in a crisis situation
• Understand and develop team intervention strategies and techniques
• Recognize the importance of staff attitudes and professionalism in responding effectively to those in your charge
• Demonstrate physical control and restraint positions to be implemented when physical control is necessary as a last resort due to an individual’s dangerous behavior
• Apply the material covered in training to real-life situations (role-playing scenarios)
• Find ways to use the time after a crisis as a stop toward preventing future crises
• Use a model for action after an incident that will bring about necessary closure, debriefing and re-establishment of a therapeutic relationship with the individuals involved
If you need to cancel your registration for this event,
please call 1-800-827-4277 Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm, or log in to your account to cancel online.
Parking is available in the South lot, the structure on Birmingham Drive or via the employee shuttle service.
This course is open to Sharp Mesa Vista and Sharp McDonald Center employees only.
Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. If a class is cancelled, you will be notified at least two days in advance and will have the opportunity to attend another date.
Instructors vary for this course. All instructors are certified by the Crisis Prevention Institute.
If you need to cancel, please do so online or by calling 1-800-82-SHARP (1-800-827-4277). If you need to cancel less than one week before the class, please also email the program manager at Emilia.Macias@sharp.com.
Four (4) CEUs will be awarded to RNs, LVNs, LPTs and CNAs for this course. Please provide your license number at the time of the class to receive your CEUs.