Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Working together to provide the care you deserve.
At Sharp Rees-Stealy, we value your participation as a partner in your care and we understand that each partnership is built on mutual trust and confidence. That's why we've adopted the following rights and responsibilities for each and every patient.
As our patient, you have the right to:
- Receive information about the medical group, its services, its practitioners and providers and your patient rights and exercise these rights without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity and expression or source of payment.
- Make recommendations regarding the member rights and responsibilities statement.
- Candid discussion of appropriate/medically necessary treatment options for your condition, regardless of cost or benefit coverage.
- Receive care that respects your privacy and dignity as a person and which includes receiving information from your physician/provider(s) about your illness, course of treatment and your prospects for recovery, in terms that you can understand.
- Be informed by your physician of any proposed treatment/procedure you need in order to give informed consent or to refuse the course of treatment; to be informed of the risks associated with refusal of treatment, and be advised of alternative treatment plans. Except in an emergency, this information shall include: a description of the procedure or treatment, the medically significant risks involved, alternate course of treatment and the risks involved and the name of the provider who will carry out the treatment.
- Receive full consideration of privacy concerning your care, including confidential and discreetly conducted case discussion, consultation, examination and treatment and confidential treatment of all communication and records pertaining to your care. Your written permission shall be obtained before your medical records can be made available to anyone not directly concerned with your care, except when otherwise required by law.
- Obtain a response to any reasonable request you may make for service; to receive reasonable continuity of care and to be informed in advance of the time and location of appointments and the physician/provider(s) giving care.
- Be advised if your physician(s) propose to engage in or perform human experimentation affecting your care or treatment and your right to refuse participation in such research projects.
- Be informed by your physician/provider(s), or their delegate, of your continuing health care requirements following a clinic visit or discharge from the hospital; to receive information on our billing and payment policies and other necessary information pertinent to your care.
- Have all patient rights apply to the person(s) who may have legal responsibility to make decisions regarding medical care on your behalf.
- Voice complaints or appeals about the medical group or care provided. Complaints can be made by contacting:
-The Sharp Rees-Stealy patient liaison at the location where the physician is located
-Your health plan using the phone number listed on the identification card
-The Medical Board of California at 1-800-633-2322 for physician complaints, including complaints by Medicare beneficiaries
-The Physician Assistants Committee at 916-561-8780 or by contacting the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care at 847-853-6060.
Together, we are building a partnership in your health — one that is built on mutual trust and confidence.
As a partner in your health care, you have the responsibility to:
- Make payment for services and any applicable copays at the time of service. We, as your health care providers, are responsible for collection of such payments. If you need assistance in making payment arrangements, please contact a business service representative.
- Be ready to accept personal financial responsibility for those charges not covered by your insurance provider.
- Arrive on time for scheduled appointments. If you need to cancel your appointment, please notify the provider's office at least 24 hours in advance (48 hours for procedure) to avoid a missed appointment fee. We will make every effort to reschedule your appointment at a more convenient time.
- Provide to your physician/provider(s) complete and accurate information to the best of your ability about your health, symptoms and problems, any medications, including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements and any allergies or sensitivities. This will assist the physician/provider(s) in making the proper diagnosis for your care.
- Communicate to your physician/provider(s) the need for further explanation if the diagnosis, treatment or instructions are not fully understood by you; to be willing and open to ask or be asked questions, which allow your physician/provider(s) to better meet your needs. Your complete understanding of the care you receive is important to us, and we will provide further explanation at your request.
- Follow the instructions and guidelines of your physician/provider(s).
- Inform your provider of any living will, medical power of attorney or other directive that could affect his or her care.
- Request a change in your physician/provider(s) should you wish to make a change for any reason, so that the continuation of your care in ensured, to understand and be knowledgeable of the covered benefits and services of your health plan or insurance and how to correctly obtain those benefits.
- Cooperate, in partnership with your physician/provider(s), in establishing a continuous and satisfactory relationship and to communicate your opinions, concerns or complaints in a constructive manner to the appropriate persons.
We're here to serve you. Your physician and site liaison representative are ready to address your needs and answer any questions you may have about your care. By working together, we can continue to provide you with quality health care that exceeds your expectations..
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View Sharp Rees-Stealy doctors in San Diego.
"I like helping people and look forward to meeting each person who visits my office."
"My goal is to equip patients to make positive choices for a healthy lifestyle."
"I strive to provide excellent medical care and make kids and parents feel comfortable."
"I've dedicated my life to meeting both the psychological and physical needs of my patients."
"The Sharp Experience represents quality patient care delivered with compassion and respect."
"The Sharp Experience means delivering detailed, up-to-date health assessments to patients with sincerity and compassion."
"The Sharp Experience means high-quality health care involving teamwork, compassion and cutting-edge medicine."