Get the latest COVID-19 information: vaccines, testing, getting care and more
Doctor's office
Enter your doctor's name to get office information.
Find labs in your network
Enter your primary care doctor's name to find labs in your network.
Find urgent care centers in your network
Enter your primary care doctor's name to find urgent care centers in your network.
Verify your medical group

Refer to your insurance card or call your insurance provider to determine your medical group.

You can also search for your primary care doctor to find the medical group you and your doctor belong to.

Driving Directions
Update Information
Forgot Password

Please enter your e-mail address.

Sharp Health News

Out-of-area care for young adults

Aug. 16, 2021

College students walking on campus

Many students will soon be heading to college campuses for in-person instruction. In addition to new courses, teachers, friends and living accommodations, it can also mean new health insurance needs.

If you have a child going to college in the fall, it's a good time to help them research their health insurance options to ensure they'll be able to access the care they need when away from home.

"Most students choose to stay on their parents' plan until they are 26 years old," explains Don Truong, director of sales at Sharp Health Plan. "However, it's worth comparing options to find the best fit."

Out-of-area care
If your child is enrolled as a dependent on your health plan and they need medical assistance while outside of your health plan's service area (the geographic area that your plan covers), they will need to access out-of-area care. Keep these tips in mind:

  • Most health plans will likely only cover emergency medical conditions from unexpected illnesses or injuries. Make sure your child tells their doctor about any care they may receive when away from home.
  • Most health plans will not cover routine health services (like primary care visits or lab work) outside of their service area. Some health plans may offer video or phone visits.
  • Always check with your health insurance carrier to find out what is covered and to ensure there are no gaps in coverage.
"If your child needs more coverage than your plan provides, they may want to consider adding supplemental health insurance like a student health plan through their university or enrolling in their own plan," adds Truong.

Student health plans
Most schools offer a student health plan that can be an easy and affordable way for your child to get basic coverage when they're away from home. In most cases, student health plans count as qualifying health coverage. This means they're considered covered under the health care law and won't have to pay the penalty for not having insurance. Be sure to verify this with your child's school.

Marketplace plans
If your child is attending school in another state, it may make sense for them to enroll in their own plan in the state where they're living. Even if they have access to a student health plan, they can apply for coverage through the health insurance marketplace.

Visit to search for the state where your child will be located. From there, you can find out if the state participates in the federal exchange or has its own public exchange. When you complete your child's application, note:
  • They will still be included in your tax household, even though they're applying separately. When they fill out their application, have them state that you (the parent or guardian) do not need health coverage. Your income will still be counted because marketplace savings are based on expected income for all tax household members, not just the ones who need insurance.
  • The cost of your child's plan (and yours if you're enrolled in coverage through the health insurance marketplace) may be reduced with a premium tax credit and extra savings based on the whole household's income.
Knowing what coverage is right for your child
When making a decision, you should consider the health care services that your child uses regularly, such as prescription medication, lab work or behavioral health services.

"Research your current plan and see what services are covered out of your service area. Then you'll have a better sense of whether or not you need to look into alternative coverage for your child," Truong says.

When to enroll
A qualifying event is a change in circumstances that allows your child to update their health insurance policy. If your child moves out of your health plan's service area, that is considered a qualifying event.

"The deadline for this qualifying event is always on the 15th of the month, so be sure to enroll early to avoid any gaps in coverage," adds Truong.

Whether your child stays on your plan or enrolls elsewhere, you'll have the peace of mind knowing they'll be covered, no matter where life takes them.

For insurance advice from local experts, Sharp Health Plan's certified enrollment specialists are available to help. They can be reached by email or by phone at 858-499-8211.

You might also like:

Choose the doctor who's right for you.

At Sharp, we make it easy to find an exceptional doctor — right where you live and work.

All Categories
Contact Sharp HealthCare
Call us

Call 1-800-827-4277 or view our detailed phone directory.

For medical or psychiatric emergencies, call 911 immediately.

Email us

Please do not use this form to convey personal or medical information.

How would you like to be contacted?
Date of birth

What's This?

These important numbers are located on your billing statement.

Find your Sharp Rees-Stealy account number

Find your SharpCare account number

Find your SharpCare account number
What's GDPR?

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) governs the processing of personal information gathered from individuals while they are in the European Union (EU) and parts of the EEA (European Economic Area, which currently includes Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway).

We are sorry, but we are unable to process your price estimate if you live or are travelling within the EU or affiliated nations.

What's This?

Many surgery and procedure names sound similar. If possible, please provide the current procedure terminology (CPT) code, which can be found on the order from your doctor.

If you cannot provide the CPT code, please contact your doctor's office for the CPT or a detailed description of services.