Classes and Events
Diabetes Crises Class: The Sweet and Low Story
This program prepares the nurse to act during a diabetic crisis. The focus is on management of fluids, electrolytes, dextrose and insulin.
At the completion of this program the nurse will be able to:
- Explain the physiologic alterations of diabetic emergencies (DKA, HHS, Hypoglycemia)
- Discuss the role of insulin and counter regulatory hormones in maintaining euglycemia
- Provide the rationale for avoiding low blood glucose during the acute phase of DKA
- Prioritize nursing interventions during a diabetic crisis
- Respond to changes in laboratory data
- Provide the rationale for avoiding low blood glucose during the acute phase of DKA or HHS
Registration is limited to Sharp Coronado, Sharp Grossmont, Sharp Memorial and SRN nurses who work in the ICU.