Classes and Events
Maquet IABC Basics Class
This course is designed to prepare nurses to care for patients with a Datascope intra-aortic balloon pump. Participants should have experience with hemodynamic monitoring and work in an area where IAB therapy is utilized such as critical care, the cath lab or the operating room.
Nurses are welcome to attend a class at any location. IABC Basics concepts are the same at all locations, although pumps may differ slightly.
Upon completion of this class, the participant will be able to:
- Correlate the anatomy and physiology associated with the cardiac cycle to an arterial pressure waveform
- Define two physiological effects achieved by the mechanics of inflation and deflation of the IABP
- Delineate major complications associated with IABP therapy
- Demonstrate proper set up of the Datascope IABP and initiation of pumping
- Describe the nursing care for patients requiring IABP support
- Discuss the consequences of improper IABP timing
- Identify four indications and three contraindications for IABP therapy
- Troubleshoot commonly encountered alarm/trigger/timing conditions for the Datascope IABP