Classes and Events
Sharp Mesa Vista Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Refresher Class
This half-day seminar is for Sharp Mesa Vista and Sharp McDonald Center employees only. It reinforces crisis prevention and emphasizes early intervention and non-physical methods for preventing or managing disruptive behavior, including CPI's Personal Safety Techniques.
This course is a refresher for nursing personnel who have completed the one-day CPI course.
• Identify the behavior levels that contribute to the development of a crisis and choose an appropriate staff intervention for each level
• Identify useful non-verbal techniques which can help prevent acting-out behavior
• Use verbal techniques to de-escalate behavior
• Demonstrate CPI’s Principles of Personal Safety to avoid injury if behavior escalates to a physical level
• Provide for the Care, Welfare, Safety and Security of all those who are involved in a crisis situation
• Understand and develop team intervention strategies and techniques
• Recognize the importance of staff attitudes and professionalism in responding effectively to those in your charge
• Demonstrate physical control and restraint positions to be implemented when physical control is necessary as a last resort due to an individual’s dangerous behavior
• Apply the material covered in training to real-life situations (role-playing scenarios)
• Find ways to use the time after a crisis as a stop toward preventing future crises
• Use a model for action after an incident that will bring about necessary closure, debriefing and re-establishment of a therapeutic relationship with the individuals involved