These mini muffins have a rich chocolaty taste plus the benefits of nutrients and fiber from the zucchini, omega-3 fatty acids from the walnuts, and minerals and flavonoids from the cocoa powder. Make it slightly healthier by choosing organic ingredients.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins With Walnuts
These mini muffins offer nutrients and fiber from the zucchini, omega-3 fatty acids from the walnuts, and minerals and flavonoids from the cocoa powder.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup zucchini, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons organic sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or organic whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, either chopped or chocolate chips
- 24 raw, unsalted walnut halves, to garnish
- Nonstick cooking spray
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Mix Ingredients
Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, stir butter, sugar, salt and egg until well-mixed. Add vanilla, zucchini and sour cream; stir until combined. Sift flour and cocoa powder into bowl and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate.
Step 2: Bake and Cool
Spray 2 mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each cup with 2 tablespoons of batter and top each with a walnut. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean, about 15 to 17 minutes.
Let muffins cool slightly in pans on wire racks before serving. Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.