Coronavirus (COVID-19): Important information from Sharp
Doctor's office
Enter your doctor's name to get office information.
Find labs in your network
Enter your primary care doctor's name to find labs in your network.
Find urgent care centers in your network
Enter your primary care doctor's name to find urgent care centers in your network.
Driving Directions
Update Information
Forgot Password

Please enter your e-mail address.

Sharp Health News

Working past 65: your Medicare checklist

Feb. 19, 2020

Working past 65: your Medicare checklist

If you’re coming up on that milestone 65th birthday, Medicare is probably on your mind. But what if you’re planning to continue working? With more people staying in the workforce longer than ever, many choose to delay their Medicare enrollment.

Before you throw away all that mail you’ve been getting about Medicare, here are two things you need to consider to avoid unnecessary costs if you will continue to work past the age of 65:

  1. If your employer or your spouse's employer will continue to provide your health insurance — look at the cost and benefits of the employer-sponsored plan and compare them to the cost and benefits of enrolling in Medicare Part B. Specifically, you want to find out how much you would be paying for Medicare Part B compared to what you pay per month for the employer-sponsored insurance plan.

  2. If you receive your Medicare card and you're still covered by insurance offered by your employer, make sure that your card only shows Part A. Part A has no premium if you or your spouse paid for this through payroll taxes during employment. If your Medicare card shows both Part A and Part B, follow the instructions that come with the card and send it back to obtain a card that only shows Part A.

    If you do not return the card, you will be charged for your Medicare Part B monthly premium. Keep in mind that there is typically no reason for you to have Part B if you continue to receive creditable health coverage through your employer or your spouse's employer.

Once you near retirement, you will want to start the process of enrolling in Medicare Parts A (if not already enrolled) and B. You will also want to consider enrolling in either a Medicare Supplement insurance plan and a Part D prescription drug plan, or a Medicare Advantage plan.

In order to avoid penalties for delaying your Medicare enrollment beyond age 65, your employer must complete the Request for Employment Information form upon your retirement.

Once this form is completed, you will take it to the Social Security office when applying and it will exempt you from the delayed enrollment penalties for Medicare Part B and Part D prescription drug plans.

Learn more about Medicare enrollment or enroll for a free informational class at

You might also like:

Choose the doctor who's right for you.

At Sharp, we make it easy to find an exceptional doctor — right where you live and work.

All Categories
Contact Sharp HealthCare
Call us


If this is a life- or limb-threatening emergency, please call 911 immediately.

Email us

Please do not use this form to convey personal or medical information.

How would you like to be contacted?
Date of birth

Find other numbers

View our phone directory

What's This?

These important numbers are located on your billing statement.

Find your Sharp Rees-Stealy account number

Find your Sharp Rees-Stealy account number

Find your Sharp hospital account number

Find your Sharp hospital account number

Find your SharpCare account number

Find your SharpCare account number
What's GDPR?

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) governs the processing of personal information gathered from individuals while they are in the European Union (EU) and parts of the EEA (European Economic Area, which currently includes Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway).

We are sorry, but we are unable to process hospital price estimates if you live or are travelling within the EU or affiliated nations.

To learn more, call us at 858-499-5901.

What's This?

Many surgery and procedure names sound similar. If possible, please provide the current procedure terminology (CPT) code, which can be found on the order from your doctor.

If you cannot provide the CPT code, please contact your doctor's office for the CPT or a detailed description of services.