Sharp Memorial Hospital
Health Requirements for Volunteers
At Sharp, we're committed to the highest levels of health and safety. To become one of our volunteers, we ask that you obtain the following health clearances for your safety and that of our patients, visitors and staff.
Required volunteer health clearances.
Volunteers in all areas must meet the following health clearance requirements:
- Two tuberculosis (TB) skin tests given one week apart at Sharp Employee Occupational Health Department (EOHD) or at your college's student health services or personal physician's office. You must bring your TB test receipt to our EOHD nurse. TB skin testing is provided by Sharp EOHD at no charge.
- Documentation of two doses of the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine.
- Documentation of one dose of the Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccine given in 2005 or later.
Any vaccine or blood test documentation that is required will need to be completed by a provider of your choosing. We suggest not receiving any vaccines (such as MMR, Tdap or varicella) until an EOHD nurse has explained your requirements. It's best to locate your immunization record if you plan on applying to volunteer.
Additional clearances for Sharp Mary Birch volunteers.
- Documentation of immunity to chickenpox. You can provide a blood test showing proof of immunity if you have had chickenpox in the past. If you have not had chickenpox, you will need documentation of two doses of the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine.
Our seasonal influenza policy.
- All volunteers are required to be vaccinated or to sign a declination form by Nov. 1 of each year
- Volunteers that decline the seasonal influenza vaccination will be required to wear a surgical mask while volunteering in any area where patients are served (from Nov. 1 to approximately March 31)
- Flu vaccines are provided by Sharp EOHD at no charge
Find out more.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"My philosophy is to treat everyone with kindness and respect and provide high-quality care."
"Dedication and friendliness are essential in delivering superior patient care."
"I deliver highly innovative medical technology and services to promote overall wellness."
"My mission is to provide the best prenatal care possible in a compassionate and understanding way."
"Being available, affable and able are the rules to which I personally ascribe."