Heart and Vascular Care
Subcutaneous Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Device
A breakthrough treatment option for patients at risk for sudden cardiac arrest, the subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator (S-ICD) is an innovative system designed to provide the same protection from sudden cardiac arrest as transvenous ICDs.
The S-ICD system sits just below the skin and without the need for thin, insulated wires — known as electrodes or "leads" — to be placed in the heart. Instead, an electrode — located just under the skin near the chest bone — delivers a lifesaving jolt to the heart if it suddenly stops. The procedure to implant the device is less invasive than that for the traditional defibrillator implant.
The system has two main components:
- The electrode, which enables the device to sense the cardiac rhythm and deliver shocks when necessary
- The pulse generator, which powers the system, monitors heart activity and delivers a shock if needed
Patients who suffer from congestive heart failure are constantly at risk for an accelerated heart rate to the point that the heart can no longer maintain blood circulation. Approximately 8,000 San Diegans are currently in need of a heart defibrillator implant.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in heart care in San Diego.
"I am dedicated to improving the health of people with cardiovascular disease."
"I care for the complexities of the heart with compassion, understanding and the trained hands of experience."
"I strive to provide the highest quality, most cost-effective cardiovascular care possible."
"The Sharp Experience signifies a collaborative environment committed to patient-centered care."
- Advanced Care Life Support (ACLS)
- Bariatric surgery
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Breast cancer
- Cancer support groups
- Cardiac Training Center
- Childbirth preparation
- Chronic disease management
- City of San Diego employees
- City of San Diego health & wellness workshops
- Community events
- Congestive heart failure
- Continuing education
- CPR and first aid
- Embarazo y parto
- En español
- Financial and health care planning
- Gentle exercise
- Health screenings
- Integrative and complementary medicine
- Kidney transplant
- Men's health
- Mental health
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Newborn and baby care
- Pain management
- Parenting and child development
- Passport to Health City Employee Events
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Prenatal hospital tours
- Robotic surgery
- Seniors and aging
- Sharp Chula Vista employees
- Sharp Coronado employees
- Sharp employee education
- Sharp Grossmont employees
- Sharp Metro employees
- Sharp-Rees Stealy employees
- Smoking cessation
- Strength training
- Stress management
- Weight management
- Women's care
- Yoga and pilates
- View category descriptions
These important numbers are located on your billing statement.
Find your Sharp Rees-Stealy account number
Find your Sharp hospital account number
Find your SharpCare account number
Many surgery and procedure names sound similar. If possible, please provide the current procedure terminology (CPT) code, which can be found on the order from your doctor.
If you cannot provide the CPT code, please contact your doctor's office for the CPT or a detailed description of services.