Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine
Conditions Commonly Treated With Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
From possibility to ability.
For almost 50 years Sharp Rehabilitation Center has provided comprehensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services to Southern Californians.
Our continuum of rehabilitation care includes programs and services designed to address all types of injuries and illness. From the basic orthopaedic injuries to complex conditions, such as stroke, brain injury and spinal cord injury, Sharp provides specialized programs and services to meet each individual's needs. In addition, Sharp is the leader in providing support services to families and caregivers.
The following are some of the more frequently asked questions:
- What types of inpatient services are offered?
- What types of specialized programs are offered?
- How does inpatient rehabilitation differ from an acute hospital?
- How long do patients stay for inpatient rehabilitation services?
- What happens after discharge?
- Is the cost of inpatient rehabilitation covered by my insurance?
- How do you measure your success?
What types of inpatient services are offered?
All programs and services are individualized with your treatment team. The team is led by a physiatrist (physician that specializes in rehabilitation) and includes nurses and physical, occupational, speech and occupational therapists. Other team members include social workers, psychologists, case managers and discharge planners. The patient and family are at the center of the team. Your team will meet at regular intervals to review your progress.
What types of specialized programs are offered?
Sharp rehab offers specialized programs for stroke, brain injury, spinal cord and other neuro musculoskeletal injuries.
How does inpatient rehabilitation differ from an acute hospital?
Patients and families should understand that inpatient rehabilitation is different than an intensive care hospital setting. During the first 24 hours at an inpatient rehabilitation center, patients will receive an extensive assessment from various health care professionals to determine their physical, therapeutic and psychological needs. Following this assessment, and in collaboration with the patient and family, an aggressive plan of care is developed.
Once the plan of care is outlined, patients are expected to work hard to participate in scheduled therapies and educational programs. Families and caregivers are also encouraged to participate. This ensures that the patient and family receive the most from their time spent in the rehabilitation program.
How long do patients stay for inpatient rehabilitation services?
Length of stay is based on each individual's treatment goals and determined by the rehabilitation team. The rehabilitation treatment team continually monitors the patient's progress and works with the patient and family/caregiver in preparing for discharge. Currently, our average length of stay is approximately 19 days. Depending on type of injury, length of stay can range from 10 to 40 days.
What happens after discharge?
Sharp offers an extensive list of outpatient therapy programs and services to help patients increase functional abilities. These services may be offered at Sharp Memorial Rehabilitation Center or at our other rehabilitation centers located throughout San Diego County. In addition to therapy services, Sharp offers a variety of support activities and groups to help with reintegration into community living.
Is the cost of inpatient rehabilitation covered by my insurance?
In most cases the answer is yes. However, health insurance is more complex than ever before. Sharp will provide a knowledgeable and experienced staff to address insurance questions and concerns.
How do you measure your success?
Several measures are tracked to determine success.
- 83 percent of our patients return home after they are discharged
- After discharge, each patient is contacted by phone to determine their status and progress and to answer any questions. In addition patients receive a survey from Press Ganey to measure their level of satisfaction with the services they received. During 2011, our patient satisfaction scores* were as follows:
- 92.8 percent: Overall patient satisfaction
- 91.5 percent: Likely to recommend Sharp Rehabilitation to others
- 96.7 percent: Degree of safety and security felt
- Upon admission to the Rehabilitation Center, every inpatient is rated on their abilities to perform activities such as dressing, mobility and communication. Throughout the inpatient rehabilitation stay, progress measured and tracked, and at discharge,each patient is rated and increased functional ability is documented.
*Satisfaction levels were determined by adding the percentage of "Good" and "Very Good" responses on Press Ganey questionnaire.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in primary care in San Diego.
"The Sharp Experience is a team who is working hard towards one goal of transforming the healthcare experience for our community."
"I believe that I serve my patients most effectively by actively listening to their concerns about their health."
"I work to monitor your health maintenance issues so that you can become a healthy 80-year-old."
"The Sharp Experience places the patient at the center of a multidisciplinary, coordinated team designed to seamlessly care for every facet of their health."
"I evaluate and treat patients, keeping in mind that mutual trust is critical to successful treatment."