Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
Volunteer Opportunities at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
A moment of your time can change someone's lifetime.
Sharp Chula Vista volunteers have been making a difference in the South Bay since 1966. Hundreds of adult and student volunteers contribute thousands of hours of service to our hospital and community each year through our Auxiliary.
Countless ways to give back.
No matter your skills or interests, our diverse range of volunteer positions allows you to choose the best way to make your passions count.
Add warmth to someone's day.
- Ambassador: greet and escort patients and visitors throughout the campus
- Birch Patrick aide: assist residents with a variety of engaging activities
- Patient activities: engage patients in arts and crafts, and offer magazines and word puzzles for diversion
- Patient companion: make friendly visits to patients
Provide valuable assistance.
- Department aides: assist nursing staff and tend to needs of patients and family members in a variety of departments such as the Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center, infusion center, surgery center and women's and infants' services
- Clerical services: varies among hospital departments; clerical experience preferred
- Runners: deliver medications from pharmacy, or supplies and equipment from central supply to departments
- Shuttle driver: provide on-campus transportation to patients, staff and visitors
Join our gift shop team.
- Gift shops: customer service, cashiering and stocking in one of our two gift shops, contributing to the Auxiliary's valuable fundraising efforts
Share your talents and experience.
- Integrative therapy: Healing Touch, reiki, hand massage, aromatherapy
- Knit/crochet circle: make handmade items for hospital patients
- Mended Hearts: a program where former heart patients provide emotional support to our heart surgery patients
- Music for healing: provide musical entertainment for patients and guests
- Pet therapy: visit patients with your certified therapy dog
Advance your education.
Open to current college students entering these fields:
- Clinical nutrition students gain insight while shadowing a clinical nutritionist
- Physical therapy: pre-physical therapy students assist in the department (minimum of 200 hours)
- Radiology: pre-radiology students observe and shadow radiologic technologists
What volunteering can do for you.
In addition to helping others, meeting new people and making a significant impact in your community, the benefits of volunteering with us include:
- Career exploration for high school students
- Discounts at Sharp hospital pharmacies
- $7 meal voucher while on duty
- Leadership-building opportunities
- Scholarship opportunities for college students
- Inclusion in Sharp HealthCare social events
- Use of hospital medical library
Become a volunteer today.
To become a volunteer at Sharp Chula Vista or to learn more about our program, select from the options below.
Health requirements for Sharp Chula Vista volunteers.
If accepted as a volunteer, you must complete the following requirements. More information will be provided at the orientation. No action is required at this time.
- MMR vaccine (measles/mumps/rubella) documentation or titer
- Varicella vaccine (chickenpox) documentation or titer
- Pertussis vaccine (Tdap) documentation
- COVID vaccination documentation or receive vaccine from Sharp HealthCare
- Influenza vaccination documentation, sign declination or receive vaccine annually from Sharp HealthCare
- TB testing: QFT blood draw administered by Sharp HealthCare or provide documentation of QFT within 90 days of your scheduled appointment
Learn about our Auxiliary.
Established in 1966 to support Community Hospital of Chula Vista, the Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Auxiliary is rich with history and local pride. As Community Hospital moved locations and ultimately became Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center, one thing remained steadfast — the Auxiliary.
Comprised of South Bay community members ranging in age from 14 to over 100 years, our Auxiliary supports Sharp Chula Vista in three ways: through in-hospital volunteer service, community outreach and fundraising. Our fundraising efforts contribute to new build and growth, support special funding projects to enhance patient care, as well as provide educational scholarships to volunteers, employees and children of employees.
Today, all community members who become volunteers automatically become members of our Auxiliary. At our peak, we boast nearly 400 volunteers, providing upwards of 50,000 hours of service each year. Join us today and become part of something wonderful in our South Bay community.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"The Sharp Experience is the human touch - the ability to connect with another human being."
"I work to restore, sustain and enhance the health and developmental potential of children."
"I believe in treating people with compassion and work hard to provide high-quality urologic care."
"My goal is to provide high quality health care to women throughout all stages of life."
"The Sharp Experience means treating every patient as if they were your own family member and providing the highest quality care to ensure that patients feel well taken care of and satisfied with the care they receive."
"I want patients to understand that I am doing everything possible to ensure their well-being."